• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infection- help?

Becky:)

Alpha Buck
Hi, i'm hoping someone with expertise (Jacks Jane) will read this, I found an abscess on my rabbits back foot, last week vets operated to remove abscess and gave Billy Baytrill to have twice a day. (the baytril had no effect on the abscess before surgery) Been checking the wound every day, yesterday it looked rather red and puffy vet sadi keep an eye and come back in a week. Looked at it it today and there it a scab with white (puss i assume) behind it. Baytril is NOT working, going back to the vets tommorrow but I feel that they are not going to be very helpful, i'm very worried does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Thankyou from me and Billy!

Did the Vet take a swab for C+S testing when they did the op' ?

My Vet seldom uses Baytril in the treatment of abscesses.

She tends to use Depocillin (given by injection only)

My bun Tipsy had a shot of Penicillin after a few months of fighting abscesses that were seeding and that sorted her out (baring in mind the amount of hard work we put in.... cleaning out her wounds twice a day, meds and two ops plus it was on her tummy and leg... not her foot)

Vet said it was touch and go.... that the penicillin would be kill or cure....

I suggest you go to your vets ASAP.

There are plenty of things you can try for abscesses.... such as some antibiotic 'beads'.......

Good luck :D

NSAID's as well - for both pain relieving and anti-inflammatory properties - very important in controlling abcesses, pain and tissue inflammation. Perhaps you could find a more rabbit savy vet? Where abouts are you? Perhaps someone on here can recommend someone nearby?

Hiya i dont know if il be any help but both of buns have got abcessess :(. Gizmo has one in his mouth and had to have two teeth removed. He is on Depocillin injections every 3 days, he was originally on baytrill. My other bun Daisy has one under her chin which was lanced on Monday. It looks quite swollen at the mo and its got some white pus on it and its started to scab. My vet said that it looks like it healing ok (took her back today) and to carry on bathing it 3 times a day with boiled salted water then rinsing it with plain boiled water ( cooled down of course!) Im also putting manuka honey on it to help with the healing ( bought from tesco, quite expensive tho about £15!) not sure you could put that on your buns foot tho as it would prob come off quite easily. Is it banadaged up? If so you may be able to put some on. Daisy is also having Baytril once a day via syringe ( 1.1ml i think!) Ive got to take her back again in 10 days and she may be put on Depocillin depending on healing as she also has got a antibotic capsule in her chin aswell.
If you feel that baytril isnt working then i would go back to your vet and let them know it may be worth trying something else. Im afraid im not an expert i just know what im doing with my buns abcessess i dont know if they all get treated the same.
I hope that this helped tho and good luck :)

Ditto what the others have said...definitely some sort of injectable penicillin.

Are you in the UK, because if not your best bet will be bicillin (which isn't available in the UK)...otherwise depocillin like Jane has suggested.

I have a rabbit here who had 2 head abscesses and has now been abscess free for 4 months, and another with 2 very advanced jaw abscesses who is as happy as larry and binkys and plays like there's nothing wrong with him...so it's not necessarily the end of the world with the right treatment/management :)

Good Luck :thumb:

Hiya i dont know if il be any help but both of buns have got abcessess :(. Gizmo has one in his mouth and had to have two teeth removed. He is on Depocillin injections every 3 days, he was originally on baytrill.

You might find you get better results giving the depocillin every other day...there was even a study in the USA that found really stubborn abscesses could sometimes be treated with daily injections when every other day had failed to help. Obviously continue with your vet's protocol, but it's something that's worth thinking about if he doesn't seem to be improving

Last edited:
Thankyou so much for your replies!! I have seen a different vet eveytime i have taken him for check intial consult etc and its worrying that none of them seem to know what they are talking about :/ I have printed your replies and i'm going armed with them tommorrow!!
Thankyou!
i will let you know how we get on!

Thankyou so much for your replies!! I have seen a different vet eveytime i have taken him for check intial consult etc and its worrying that none of them seem to know what they are talking about :/ I have printed your replies and i'm going armed with them tommorrow!!
Thankyou!
i will let you know how we get on!

I would complain and say you want the same vet.... so they can see how the abscess is progressing or not. V important!!

Back