• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Filthy bunnies!

crysta

Alpha Buck
Well I've just brought home a pair of French lops that were being given away on gumtree to absolutely anyone, and they're absolutely filthy! The cage they were in when I went to pick them up was basically lined with slurry and it's all up the bunnies' legs and back ends!

Would they be okay with a gentle wash, or should I not worry about the muck?

Are they indoors? If they are I don't think a bum wash would hurt, but make sure they are thoroughly dried off and kept warm

Yep, they're house bunnies now :)

Will keep them warm until they're properly dried off. Sure they'll feel better once all that crusty yuck is off their bums!

Hope thats all you find.......:shock:

Well, the orange and white bunny is more or less okay, but the black and white has bald patches on her feet where the urine's burned her :(

Will be getting that seen to and keeping her cleaned and fresh til they heal up.

I got them off gumtree - it was a "free to good homes" ad and I had horrid visions of them going to a family who knew nothing about them with kids who'd pull ears and the like, so I decided to snag them. Good job I did!

when I went up there they just took me into the garage and opened the cage to let me get the buns out, didn't bother asking me anything about if I knew how to care for them or anything.

Just goes to show, doesn't it - just because it's "free to good home" doesn't mean they'll care whether the bunny will be cared for. At least these two will be looked after and have the whole house to run round now :)

My cats came in a terrible state,they were gumtree secondchancers too. I would be mortified if I had to part with my animals, esp if they are in such a poor condition :(

My cats came in a terrible state,they were gumtree secondchancers too. I would be mortified if I had to part with my animals, esp if they are in such a poor condition :(

All of my animals are rescues, I've never once bought one from a petstore. My last rabbits, two lionhead does, were given to me by my boyfriend at the time's mum because they were her daughter's but she wouldn't look after them - so mum got rid!

My cats were three weeks old when they were found in someone's shed living in piles and piles of rubbish, with no food, and mum long gone because the owners wouldn't feed her - needless to say, they now have no cats as they were taken away!

It's horrendous how people can treat their animals so badly. :(

Well I washed the bunnies last night and the water that came off them was horrific - it went brown within about two minutes of the rabbit just sitting in it! Unbelievable!

They're looking much happier and hopping round the house getting into everything, but Hope, the black and white one, because their claws have never been clipped, has split one of her claws below the quick. Snipped the hanging bit off and gave it a clean, will have to keep an eye on it. She doesn't seem too bothered by it, so hopefully it's not too bad.

Unbelievable! These rabbits are four months old, allegedly, and their claws were so long and sharp!

Anyway, another question - Hope's considerably skinnier than Faith. Any suggestions how to get her to put weight on, or is it just keep feeding her normally and she should pick up now she's got a clean home and fresh food and water every day?

Wow! Sounds like these bunnies have fallen on their feet - well done you!

I guess the smaller bun may just need some good food, perhaps she's not got her fair share in the past, but maybe good to weigh them both and keep a weekly check. I guess you will be Panacuring them as they are new? For real putting on weight problems I know some people use Barley Rings or porridge oats. A good junior pellet is probably a good idea if they are youngsters.

Yep, they will be being wormed and de-flea'd/de-mited very soon, I dread to think what they might have with the state of that cage. Horrible!

She is eating well so I think the best bet is probably to feed her separate for a bit to make sure she gets a proper feed - Faith is bigger and very bolshy for a bunny - she barges the cats out of the way! :lol: No fear!

Good idea with the weighing - I shall dig out me scales!

If they are only 4 months old they should still be on unlimited pellets from what I remember of baby bunnys, as well as unlimited hay.

If they have had mimimum care, they will have had mimimum food too. Therefore one of the bunnies will have had the rabbits share. small amounts of veggies and only one at a time to see the reaction on their system, so a bit of veg then wait a few days.

Well done for saving them! They can look forward to a lovely life and will be cared for properly which is fantastic with winter approaching. I cannot understand how some people can neglect their animals? Its disgraceful. Anyway..... you are the best for saving them!!!

Well done for saving them! They can look forward to a lovely life and will be cared for properly which is fantastic with winter approaching. I cannot understand how some people can neglect their animals? Its disgraceful. Anyway..... you are the best for saving them!!!

Yes, they have the whole run of my nice warm house now. The black and white one has been dubbed Hope as she was the worse of the two but seems to be bouncing back nicely, has been splatted in my lap for a couple of hours before having a bit of a cuddle, bless!

Bunny hugs make the world go round <3

Back