• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel like crying

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
Ginger's bad again. I think it's probably coming from his teeth. I had my sister check his mouth yesterday (she's a vet) and she says he has spurs but she couldn't see any sore patches. Got both him and Pickle booked in for their dentals on Monday, but it seems an awful long time to wait.

The trouble is that Ginger is really severely underweight. He always used to be the fat one, but despite having the same huge appetite he's not been putting any weight on. I think it's probably due to damage from the coccidiosis. He looks like he's fading away.

Guys, what do I do? Today he's eating a little, (very hesitantly), but nothing like normal. Should I force feed and risk making his mouth worse, or should I leave it? He's soooo thin, like a little skeleton with fur. I just know the GA on Monday is going to be the end of him. :cry:

Oh dear :( how awful for you.

I think if it was me, and i knew it was a dental problem, i would move the dental forward. I understand you are very scared about the risk, but if he is not eating well, he will be weaker come Monday.

Just my opinion though, sending lots of eating and get well vibes to Ginger xx

if it was possible i would personally move the dental forward. I have had a similar problem at a weekend before and have given my bunny metacam pain relief which makes him feel much better and eats better until he had his op.

I too would bring the dental forward. A bun not too anorexic is going to cope much better with the GA and recovery afterwards. I would get it done asap personally. I hope your bun feels better soon. :)

Move it forward if you can!
And see if you can get a syringe and feed him some liquid food. You can moisten some pellets and blend them up, or try oats and water cooked, cooled and blended. Try to get him to eat about 5ml if you can.

He might, if you're lucky, eat it off a spoon, but you could always wrap him in a towel like a baby and feed him. Ask your vets if this is a good idea. But if you explain the urgency they might have him in sooner.

Good luck.

Well, can't move the dental forward. Monday morning is the earliest they can do. Ginger's had some bread, basil and 2 grapes, and I'll try him on recovery from a bowl in a minute. I don't like to syringe feed unless it's really necessary, I'm so afraid of asphyxiation, or making his mouth worse.

Just weighed him and he's only 2.5 pounds. Normal weight for a Dutch is between 3.5 and 5.5!

I've noticed he's peeing a lot as well. Do you think I should get some bloods done when I take them in? Or maybe take a urine sample? Could kidney problems be part of the weight loss?

Last edited:
I don't know about kidney problems so I can't help there I'm afraid, but...

If he likes bread try feeding him soggy bread, I had to wait a week for Grimlock's dental and he lived off soggy bread basically as it was all he could eat. It's not healthy but it helped him keep his weight on and filled him up. At this point my instinct says bad food is better than no food. :(

Try not to worry too much, I've had underweight animals, including rabbits, in for GA's and they have coped. Personally I don't like force feeding, but while Jess was very poorly we used Ella's organic baby food, she loved the banana and apple flavour and the carrot and parsnip flavour- and she could lick it up. We also soaked pellets for her, grated carrot and hredded spinach ( her fav.)

As people have said metacam might help if his mouth is sore and keeping him warm is good, so he doesn't have to use energy for that.
I fyou are worried, bloods would not be a bad idea, it will put your mind at rest and at least they are done, rather than have to do them at a later date.

Hope all goes well.

Well, can't move the dental forward. Monday morning is the earliest they can do. Ginger's had some bread, basil and 2 grapes, and I'll try him on recovery from a bowl in a minute. I don't like to syringe feed unless it's really necessary, I'm so afraid of asphyxiation, or making his mouth worse.

Just weighed him and he's only 2.5 pounds. Normal weight for a Dutch is between 3.5 and 5.5!

I've noticed he's peeing a lot as well. Do you think I should get some bloods done when I take them in? Or maybe take a urine sample? Could kidney problems be part of the weight loss?

It wouldn't hurt to get bloods done to check his kidneys and liver while he is in as they can cause weight loss and excessive drinking and urination, however, pain can cause all of these symptoms too.
Maybe you could look around for a another good vet that can do the dental sooner? it seems a bad idea to leave him in pain until Monday xx

try not to worry too much on the GA side, we had a very underweight piggy (under 600g) undergo a GA and come round afterwards.

i know with all small animals GAs are scary, but i always think if the treatment is needed then it is being done with the best intentions,and if even in the worst case scenario they pass under GA, at least they will of gone peacefully and known nothing about it.

recently our girl sadie (conti giant) had to undergo two GAs within about four hours of each other, after she started to lose blood post spay. that was touch and go a salthough she was a decent weight two GAs in such a short period is always risky but she pulled through, and three weeks on is now bouncing around our spare bedroom with her boyfriend samson. I know its hard but try and be positive for your bunters sake, they will pick up on if you're sad.

Back