• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you tell me the breed?

Could anyone tell me what breed my rabbit is from my avatar photo? If someone knows, could you tell me the temperament/characteristics of that breed, and how big they grow. Mine is just a baby at the moment, but I want to ensure he gets a good sized hutch suitable for his size. Thank you.

The line down his face makes him look like a dutch rabbit but he doesn't have the white patches across the shoulder and front legs so I'm not sure.

Looks like a dutch cross breed.

The minimum i would go for would be a 6ft hutch with an attached run. This will also be big enough to accomodate a friend for your rabbit when he is older and neutered. Sheds or playhouses are much better, they provide much more space than a hutch. It is also handy in winter as you can spend time with your bunny without getting wet or too cold ;)

Looks like a dutch cross breed.

The minimum i would go for would be a 6ft hutch with an attached run. This will also be big enough to accomodate a friend for your rabbit when he is older and neutered. Sheds or playhouses are much better, they provide much more space than a hutch. It is also handy in winter as you can spend time with your bunny without getting wet or too cold ;)

agreed with the above and wanted to add,
rabbits of different breeds dont really have different charictoristics(sp?) but they do have a different personality to every bunny so its more about learnign about your bun and its likes adn dislikes, most rabbits are happeist neutered with a freind for company (many rescues will do the bonding for yo uto save you the trauma) and also just be aware that as prey animals all rabbits hide pain and discomfort welll so if showing signs of distress take to a vet asap and secondly that due to bieng prey animals most bunnys prefer to come to you than bepicked up (tho there are exceptions) so sitting on the floor with bun will give the rabbit more confidence to come up to you. xx

thanks for all the advice. So should I introduce a second bunny once my rabbit is older and neutered? What age do I neuter him and then when do I bring in another rabbit. When you say a rescue centre will bond them for me, what does this mean?

In male rabbits you can usually get them neutered as soon as their testicles drop, which usually happens after 12 weeks. However, speak to your vet, as some wont operate until the bunny is a little older.

After he has been neutered you will need to wait at least two weeks for his hormones to calm down, then you can look at finding him a friend.

Rabbits can be tricky to pair up, so most rescues offer a service where they will pair your bunny up for you. To bond rabbits (make them become friends) you need to use neutral territory (somewhere neither rabbit has been). They will usually hump for a while, this is to sort out which is the dominant rabbit. However, some bunnies just wont be friends. If this is the case the rescue will help you find a better match and will offer advice after you have taken your rabbits home. All rescues are different, some wish to keep the rabbits for a few days to bond them, while others let you go home with them both once an initial meeting has been established.

thanks for all the advice. So should I introduce a second bunny once my rabbit is older and neutered? What age do I neuter him and then when do I bring in another rabbit. When you say a rescue centre will bond them for me, what does this mean?

yes difinatly wait until he is neutered adn give him about 4 weeks after to calm down i would introduce him then to a spayed female (be warned males who are neutered are still fertile 4 weeks after the op.) the reason i say a spayed female as if they are both neutered it removed the risks of cancer and also the hormonal problems and generally makes them easier to bond.

bonding is when you introduce to rabbits and get tehm to like each toher the general rules are both buns neuteresd a m/f [airing usually works best and a small area which is neutral (ie neither rabbit ahs been or all smells have been eradicated using something like white vinegar) then the bunnys should be left alone but supervised for around 3 or 4 days including overnight, this is because while some behaviours are normal and just dominance establishing (nipping,chasing, fur pulling humping etc) others suhc as biting and locking on are to be stopped this can be done in a few ways, to stop injury and fighting. some places start bonding with a stress technique this can be anything from a short car ride in a carrier together to birng them closer ,i do not reccomend stressing in other ways as it can have an adverse affect on the buns.

the best way to find a mtach for your bunny is to take him to a local rescue and go speed dating this will try him with lots of buns and find the one that is most promising, then the rescue wil loften offer to keep both bunnys there fora few days to bond them this gives you time to neutralise all your bunnys toys cage etc so no further problems occour when they are home, then its just a case of adopting said bunny and bringing your pair home! :)

there is usually an adoption fee which varys from £20-£60 per bunny. the reason this is there is it covers some of the cost of the rabbits care while at the rescue ( it usually is cheaper doing it this way as the rabbits will already be vaccinated and neutered thus saving you a hefty chunk of cost) x

Could anyone tell me what breed my rabbit is from my avatar photo? If someone knows, could you tell me the temperament/characteristics of that breed, and how big they grow. Mine is just a baby at the moment, but I want to ensure he gets a good sized hutch suitable for his size. Thank you.

Possibly dutch, but most likely just a cross breed with the vienna gene that causes random white markings :wave:

Back