• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Megacolon bunny :( Sad news.

Jetstreem

Warren Scout
Sadly the little Megacolon bunny, Panda, was euthanased today.

She deteriorated badly over the weekend and had become totally incontinent, both urine and faeces. It was no longer fair on her.

Panda was quickly losing her will to live, she no longer put up a battle to take her meds, and she was struggling to stay warm, even with a heatpad. She was a soldier to the end though, and went peacefully in my arms this afternoon at the vets.

Both myself and her husbun are going to miss her dearly :cry::love:

Thanks to you all for your excellent advice and support.
Cerys :)

Oh I am sorry but sadly Megacolon gets the better of a Bun eventually :cry:

I hope her husBun will be OK. I too have a grieving Rabbit at the moment :cry: William who lost his brother Leo after 7.5 years :cry:

Yes, Megacolon is a terrible condition, Panda did well to cope with it for so long, she was a real soldier.

Oh no poor William. Its so hard on them when they lose their friends.

JJ and Panda spend all afternoon cuddling and kissing each others noses today. I was nearly in tears the whole day, it broke my heart.

JJ is ok though, but was a little agitated when I returned from the vets this afternoon, I think he knew :( He ate his dinner this evening before I went home, and he has bunnies either side of him so isn't all alone.

I have 2 new female rabbits arriving at the sanctuary on saturday, so hopefully he will make friends with them.

I'm so sorry to hear that Panda didn't make it, what sad news :cry: But you obviously gave her such a happy time in her last days and I hope that her bunny companion will be ok and make some new bunny friends soon. I'm sure you will miss her terribly. :(
So sorry for your loss.

Well Panda's little husbun JJ has a new best friend!

Leon the little bunny who I put in the other half of JJ's run to keep him company jumped over the partition this morning and plonked himself down beside JJ, and that was that!

There was a little bit of humping and following eachother round, but they spend most of the day cuddled up in the sun together :love:

While I was out watching JJ and Leon this afternoon a little white feather floated down just infront of me. I knew Panda was watching over them this morning :):love:

Well Panda's little husbun JJ has a new best friend!

Leon the little bunny who I put in the other half of JJ's run to keep him company jumped over the partition this morning and plonked himself down beside JJ, and that was that!

There was a little bit of humping and following eachother round, but they spend most of the day cuddled up in the sun together :love:

While I was out watching JJ and Leon this afternoon a little white feather floated down just infront of me. I knew Panda was watching over them this morning :):love:

Aww....gosh that brought a tear to my eye :) I'm so pleased for you, Leon and JJ and am sure Panda is happily watching over you all.

Back