• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats best to line the hutch with?

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
This is with regards to my foster buns :) All of the hutches have lino in them. Previously ive been putting newspaper ontop of the lino, then a layer of hay. However... i have 4 new foster buns and this is seeming really wasteful. Im having to clean the hutches at least twice a day fully because theyre not litter trained yet.

This morning i put towels down onto of the lino... they dug them all up into a pile and chose to sit on the cold lino :roll: I dont really want to sit them on lino as surely it will be too cold especially with winter approching??

Trouble is, im obsessive when it comes to cleaning... and my previous foster buns were all so clean :?

Ideas? What do you use to line your outdoor hutches?

we use carpet for the outside ones now and have hay on top of that and a litter tray with megazorb in.I did paint the wood with the paint i got from ryedale to waterproof it alittle.

we use carpet for the outside ones now and have hay on top of that and a litter tray with megazorb in.I did paint the wood with the paint i got from ryedale to waterproof it alittle.

Don't your rabbits try eat/chew it ?

nope not one single bun as tried to eat the carpet at all.Now when i tried them with vet bed and towels then yes.But in all honestly no they havent x They love moving the litter tray around thou lol:roll:

Does the carpet work? isnt it hard to get the hay off? I was thinking of using carpet tiles from B&Q, as theyre only 20p at the minute, but thought the hay might stick to them badly. It will be easier once theyve been neutered, they will be easier to litter train then, theyre not taking to it at the moment :roll:

When I bring Harley inside he always digs and chews at the carpet.
Flash does it to the grooming carpet too :roll:

we got the carpet squares and i just use a stiff brush which gets the hay and hair off pretty good.With the carpet squares if one gets stained u just replace it better than having fitted carpet in my opinion :oops:.

we got the carpet squares and i just use a stiff brush which gets the hay and hair off pretty good.With the carpet squares if one gets stained u just replace it better than having fitted carpet in my opinion :oops:.

I use every single type of brush to get hair off my grooming carpet :lol: Combs, wire slicker brushes, the lot!

What about fleece that you can machine wash? That's what I'm using for my current foster.

I line my hutches with newspaper and use hay on top. In the litter trays I used wood pellet litter with hay on top, or for those that eat that, the same as the day area-newspaper with hay on top.

But... if you put papers and then hay... how much hay should I use for the whole hutch??? a lot....
how often do you change the papers and hay???

Apart from the middle of winter, I never lined my hutch with anything - it was just bare lino. I had a huge litter tray at each end of the hutch full of hay and Alfie and Bubbles would usually choose to sit either on the cold lino or downstairs in the run on bare concrete anyhow. :roll:

I use fleece for Ronnie and Lola but find the hair sticks to it really badly?! I have to use a lint roller to get the hair off before i can machine wash it.

But... if you put papers and then hay... how much hay should I use for the whole hutch??? a lot....
how often do you change the papers and hay???

I used to line the whole hutch with newspaper, and then put a decent layer of hay down. The thing is, almost all the hay gets thrown in the bin this way :? Especially when your having to change it 2/3 times a day because of unlitter trained buns ;)

Apart from the middle of winter, I never lined my hutch with anything - it was just bare lino. I had a huge litter tray at each end of the hutch full of hay and Alfie and Bubbles would usually choose to sit either on the cold lino or downstairs in the run on bare concrete anyhow. :roll:

You see this is what i figure too... they seem to choose to sit on the lino :? Hmm. What with winter coming up in surely going to have to keep on using the newspaper and hay until it gets warmer... though i do think the lino would be better for a few weeks while litter training :roll:

You see this is what i figure too... they seem to choose to sit on the lino :? Hmm. What with winter coming up in surely going to have to keep on using the newspaper and hay until it gets warmer... though i do think the lino would be better for a few weeks while litter training :roll:

It's not that cold yet, and if they're already choosing to sit on the lino then they probably won't notice the difference. ;)

You might even find that having hay only in specific places helps with the toilet business - when I first got Bubbles, she would wee anywhere where there was a pile of hay, so I limited the hay on the floor to just the litter trays, along with plenty of hay in hayracks and it helped a lot.

All my buns have lino in the bottom of the hutch, a layer of newspaper, then a piece of vet bed and a fleece blanket ontop.

If I have foster buns that aren't litter trained I don't put the fleece blanket on top. The vet bed always stays dry ontop and I change the newspaper underneath a couple of times a day.

Vicky

I used to use vetbed for Ronnie and Lola when they were housebuns. I agree it would work well, especially for the unlittertrained buns, but its so expensive? Local pet shop charges £18 a metre sq :?

Hope your ok Vicky xxxx

I think I paid £13.50 + VAT for 54 x 30 inches. it does work well and I've only had one bun decide to chew it. You'll have to let me know if you want me to get you some.

I'm ok at the min, still in shock I think!!

Back