• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do some vets...

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
Why do some vets give bunnies post-op pain relief and tell their owners it will last a couple of days?!:roll: Can someone please explain this to me!
Is there some magic long-acting Opiod or NSAID analgesics that I am unaware of currently in use? My understanding is that buprenorphine is the longest-acting at 8 hours (of the Opiates), and others shorter at 2-4 hrs, and then the NSAID's to a maximum of 12-24 hours. There seem to be so many spay related posts in the health section with bunnies who's analgesia isn't properly managed and it worries me. :(
I hope I'm missing something here! :?

Looking at some info on carprofen, it does show a half life in excess of 30 hours in cows...bet they haven't done any reliable tests to establish duration in bunnies though!

I think it stems from claims that rimadyl lasts for 48-72 hrs in dogs and cats. I had a discussion with my vets about it once, and they (at the time) reckoned that rabbits would be the same. Interestingly, when Jess had her abscess drained the last time, I asked for more pain relief after about 36 hrs and they agreed, saying they now thought rimadyl didn't last as long in rabbits :). Saying all this, if tests haven't been done, the med won't be lisenced from them and the vet then has to err on the side of caution.:)

I think Rabbits have a much faster clearance rate than other species

Rodneyvet said something about it in relation to Metacam. That's how the 'new' higher dose recommendations came about.

Rodneyvet said something about it in relation to Metacam. That's how the 'new' higher dose recommendations came about.

Jane, do you have a link or info on metacam dosage? At my vets, the frequency you are advised to give metacam depends on which vet you see, and I'd like a definitive answer.

Yes, I think it is to do with the faster metabolisim. The amount for the likes of quail is really big compared even for rabbits.:shock:

When Frank was really sick, he was given a shot of Metacam, and I was told it would last him 5 days. :?

This is what i'm talking about! :roll: I don't understand why there are so many vets still who don't seem to recognise pain properly in rabbits. A friend of mine had a bunny in stasis and with a suspected aspiration pneumonia as well - she was sent home with antibiotics and nothing else! :roll: When she questioned the vet she was told..."she doesn't look in pain" !!! :roll: To which my friend said..."with all due respect how do you know that?" :D and got her pain killer. But owners shouldn't have to ask for pain relief for their animals. :(

I've just realised that this wasn't the best example as sadly my friend's bunny died from an obstructed bloat/stasis and pneumonia. But it illustrates this 'bunny makes no sounds so can't be in pain' philosophy. :(

Last edited:
This is what i'm talking about! :roll: I don't understand why there are so many vets still who don't seem to recognise pain properly in rabbits. A friend of mine had a bunny in stasis and with a suspected aspiration pneumonia as well - she was sent home with antibiotics and nothing else! :roll: When she questioned the vet she was told..."she doesn't look in pain" !!! :roll: To which my friend said..."with all due respect how do you know that?" :D and got her pain killer. But owners shouldn't have to ask for pain relief for their animals. :(

Again, the same happened with my Frank. It took me six weeks of my trying to convince my vet and her various locums that he had a dental problem, his front teeth had grown twisted, they were almost wound around each other. He was given Baytril.
4 weeks later, he knocked his front teeth out. No painkillers, 'just watch him' a week later, he was as well as dead. I knew 3 days beforehand that he was in stasis.
I took him in, and they admitted him after I told the vet what was wrong.
They gave him painkillers then, and it took them 2 days after that to try a gut stimulant.
Their best bet was pineapple juice and recovery food.
:evil:

I've just realised that this wasn't the best example as sadly my friend's bunny died from an obstructed bloat/stasis and pneumonia. But it illustrates this 'bunny makes no sounds so can't be in pain' philosophy. :(

Pain relief, or lack there-of from some Vets has been a BIG bone of contention of mine for ages. It really is inexcusable for any Vet in small animal practice to fail to recognise the importance of analgesia when treating Rabbits.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, it makes me so cross :evil:

My vet has told me to give Roxy metacam once a day...and I am sure it says with food...
how does this fair with what everyone else has been told?

Thats what confused me a little....roxy is always eating...if she isn't ill!!!!! So does it really matter when I give it to her!

Thats what confused me a little....roxy is always eating...if she isn't ill!!!!! So does it really matter when I give it to her!

No but try to give it at about the same time every day. If you feed her a concentrate (pellets etc) give her the Metacam after that then you'll be sure her tum is well lined with food :)

THanks for that! The next trick is getting it into her!!
I think I will do it in the morning, when I first feed her...let her have a fill, then give it to her.

I am presuming then the metacam lasts approx 24hrs?

Back