• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi question

kerry-123

Mama Doe
Just need to know:

How to people treat rabbits with myxi?

And

Is there any risk for humans?

thanks guys :wave:

Oh dear does one of your buns have Myxi? Have you seen Parsnipbun's thread in the Health section? She has been keeping a diary of how she has dealt with her Myxi bun for this reason - to help others.
Normally it would be pain relief, fluids and antibiotics to protect against 2nd infections. Possibly also nebulised antibiotics and mucolytics and even Oxygen for buns who's respiratory system is compromised. It also depends on what form of Myxi it is and if bun has had some immunity from vaccination as to how successful treatment is.

p.s no risk to humans I am aware of.

Last edited:
Oh dear does one of your buns have Myxi? Have you seen Parsnipbun's thread in the Health section? She has been keeping a diary of how she has dealt with her Myxi bun for this reason - to help others.
Normally it would be pain relief, fluids and antibiotics to protect against 2nd infections. Possibly also nebulised antibiotics and anti-mucolytics and even Oxygen for buns who's respiratory system is compromised. It also depends on what form of Myxi it is and if bun has had some immunity from vaccination as to how successful treatment is.

p.s no risk to humans I am aware of.

Oh no my buns are all good :) Just for a report I'm writing on myxi :)

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/understanding_myxo_feb06.htm

Personally if an UNVACCINATED Rabbit contracted Myxi I would have them PTS. Treatment is unlikely to be successful

If vaccinated the Bun usually has a 'milder' form, although Bun can still become extremely poorly

Treatment is aimed at trying to minimise risk of secondary infection (pneumonia) by giving systemic antibiotics. Anti-inflammatories are also essential. Abx eye drops are usually given aswell as a mucolytic to thin out the mucus secretions in the respiratory tract.

Unfortunately aswell as external damage Myxi can cause internal damage and whilst a Bun may recover from the acute illness they may succumb to renal failure months later.

AFAIK Myxi is not a risk to humans.

ETA You may find this thread useful:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=195035

myxi is not contagious to humans, but is highly contagious in the rabbit population it is spread by biting insects such as mosquitos and flys
It is treated in a vaccinated rabbit who contracts the nodular strain of it by giving antibiotics, pain relief and sometimes nebulising the rabbit it does vary bunny to bunny depending on the symptoms and severity of the disease but it often presents itself in a vaccinated rabbit as lumps all over and swollen genitals and eyes which weep, the nodular form can also be treated with eye drops in addition to other antibiotics and pain relief the rabbit may not want to eat so they should be tempted at all times also stress should be minimized however i would adivse anyone with a myxi bunny to have them indoors as they really really do need to be kept warm and monitored espeically if they have breathing problems with it too.
if it were a wild rabbit or an unvaccinated rabbit i would not attempt to treat and would put the rabbit to sleep. :( hope this answers your questions my chelsea had myxi and survived she was vaccinated and we luckily caught it early.

Apparently there is some kind of cure in Australia, but you have to send them a fur sample :?

They use Myxi to kill Rabbits in Aus so I very much doubt they'd want to be offering a 'cure' !!

I'm sure it's not the people that actually introduced it in the first place :?
The person who posted it on another forum removed the link, so I don't know anything else about it.

I believe I read once that it is illegal in some parts of Australia to house bunnies and that myxo vaccinations are not available.

I believe I read once that it is illegal in some parts of Australia to house bunnies and that myxo vaccinations are not available.

Yeah, the person Demismith is referring to is probably someone who has managed to get hold of an 'illegal' batch of vaccine from abroad

Back