• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When should I worry after a spay?

Bunny_mad

Alpha Buck
I had my bun Miffy spayed last night. I took her home, tucked her up in her hutch with a snugglesafe and left her with fresh water, hay a, veg and a few pellets. I went out this monrning and she had not touched it. When should I worry that she is not eating etc. I am at work at present and will be back around 6pm. She was up and about last night and seem bright. I just don't want her to get statis. Any advice is appreciated x

I would have thought she would be eating by now. Is there any chance you can nip home to see if she is eating now? It might just take some tempting herbs or fresh veg to get her eating again and if shes not eating, then she could probably do with some extra pain relief (vets visit).

Hope she is ok.

When I had my bun spayed, she had the op in the morning, and my vets told me to bring her back in first thing the next morning if she had not eaten anything. She had started eating the same evening. Generally buns will not eat pellets or hay for the first couple of days, so I would keep tempting her with leafy greens and herbs (whatever her favourites are). For the first 24 hours, I was constantly trying to tempt my rabbit to eat as best I could e.g. leaving her a selection of foods that she could choose from, and holding things up for her to nibble on if she was feeling too poorly to get up for herself.

To be honest, I would call your vets asap. She really should be eating now. It might be that she needs more pain killers... did they give you any to give her for the next couple of days?

Is she drinking? It is really important that she stays hydrated.

If she does not start eating soon, you may need to consider syringe feeding her (your vets will show you if you have not done this before). However, it is better to encourage her to eat of her own accord.

Fingers crossed she'll start munching soon!

Oops sorry, just noticed that you are at work. I wouldn't want to leave her alone for that long to be honest... is there any way that you can get away for a bit to check on her?

Thanks for your help everyone. I feel like a terrible bunny mum. I work 45 mins from work and couldn't get the time off as I leave on Friday. I will call the vets in a min but this morning she hadn't eaten or drunk anything. She was lively though!! I asked a few times about painkillers but they kept saying she had an injection to last a few day's. I thought it was strange but trusted them.

I feel so bad!!

I have her booked into the vets for 4.40pm!! I hope she will be ok bless her, I feel terrible but it's just mad her at the moment and it all goes wrong at once. :(

dont feel bad Daisy had her spay yest and dring her pre op check my vet found a big abcess under her chin i felt and still feel so bad and i hadnt noticed, even tho it was hidden She ate quite well yest but has not eaten much today, different bunnies recover differently, she will be fine!! Good luck at the vets later! :)
Sending eating vibes!!!

Oh no - I'm sorry to worry you! I wrote my last post in a hurry, so it sounds a bit extreme :( Sorry, I'm sure you are a fantastic bunny mum and that your bun will be absolutely fine. I have a tendency to over react a little :oops: I'm sure that my vet thinks I'm completely ridiculous!

If she has been lively, then I'm sure she will be ok. I really hope that everything went well at the vets and that she has started eating now? More eating vibes from me :)

Oh no - I'm sorry to worry you! I wrote my last post in a hurry, so it sounds a bit extreme :( Sorry, I'm sure you are a fantastic bunny mum and that your bun will be absolutely fine. I have a tendency to over react a little :oops: I'm sure that my vet thinks I'm completely ridiculous!

If she has been lively, then I'm sure she will be ok. I really hope that everything went well at the vets and that she has started eating now? More eating vibes from me :)
It's ok, I got her to the vets and she was given painkiller and gut stimulant. I syringe fed her pro-biotic and fibreplex. She seems happy today and has been eating a bit and pooping!! She has a follow up appt today just to be sure.

Thanks for all the advice!! It was helpful and she is doing well!! xx

Yay, that's brilliant news! :)

I'm pleased that she is doing well. I'm sure she'll be back to her normal self before you know it!

Thats great news - sometimes a bit of extra pain med does the trick. My vets always use the injection aswell and in 4 out of 5 that was plenty - I have only had one bunny that needed more pain meds. I guess bunnies are individuals and like us different people/rabbits have different pain thresholds.

Update

We went back to the vets last night and she has another gut stimulant and more pain meds, I was given metacam to also give her with the pro-biotuc and fibreplex for the next couple of days. She seems much better and we had a lovely hug last night. We never had a close relationship as there was 3 of them they all needed ther time, now she is on her own she is coming out of herself. She is just a little princess ans so easy going. There was no fighting and she was as good as gold. Fingers crossed she is gettign there :)

Back