• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lollipop booked for his op

melly

Warren Scout
i have just booked lollipop in to be netuered (sorry cant spell it lol) he is goin in fri morn as i then have sat and sun off to keep an eye on him, could you please send him some gud vibes that nothin goes wrong and he poos and eats prop after. i asked the vet how long it was before i cud bond him back with flopsy and she said 12 weeks does this sound rite? also is there anything i need to do after to look after him. this is my 1st manger bunny thing if you no what i mean so im quite worried that he will be ok.

Hello i had my Gizmo neutered and everything went well i just made sure he was warm enough and had plenty of clean dry bedding. He should eat and drink pretty much straight away and poo and wee within 12 hours. My female was spayed yesterday and ive got her indoors as its more of a big op for girls. Good luck and sending vibes for lollipop! :)

i have just booked lollipop in to be netuered (sorry cant spell it lol) he is goin in fri morn as i then have sat and sun off to keep an eye on him, could you please send him some gud vibes that nothin goes wrong and he poos and eats prop after. i asked the vet how long it was before i cud bond him back with flopsy and she said 12 weeks does this sound rite? also is there anything i need to do after to look after him. this is my 1st manger bunny thing if you no what i mean so im quite worried that he will be ok.

I would personally book his Op in for a Monday or mid-week unless your vet has an open surgery on wknds as well? My vets are open normally Sat and Sun but if they weren't I would have a neuter done at the begining of the week instead. Although unlikely to have complications, sometimes buns can have issues post-op especially with GI stasis etc and I would want a vet to be available for emergencies, if your vet isn't open at wknds then you will have to rely on emergency vet provisions only.

12 weeks is OK but perhaps a bit long, is Flopsy spayed already? (I'm assuming she is a girl?)

flopsy isnt done yet as i was told all my bun where girls so wasnt in a big rush to get them done was waitin till i had some money saved, but it turned out lollipop was a boy so he and flopsy had babies :shock: so i am waitin till babies are old enough to leave mum before i get her done, my bunny fund is goin to take a batterin now lol as i have 5 girls and one boy to do plus jabs, think i mite try to sell my body lol will ring vet to see if it open at weekend and if not will change day.

I'm no expert on putting neutered male back in with mum and babies but you will need to wait at the outside 6 wks, for all risks of him getting her pregnant again post-op as they do remain fertile for up to 6 wks after, and no doubt you don't want another litter.

im hopin that by the time he is ready to go back with her i will have moved the babies as they are 4 weeks now so will be gettin them check as to wot they are within the nxt couple of weeks just incase one is a boy, i got sherbert and lollipop at 5 and 6 weeks so hopefully i can get flopsy done in about 2 weeks then after when she is ready put her with lollipop. then if babies are both girls they can stay together straight away and all my buns will be back in pairs :shock: heck its hard work bein a bunny mummy lol

Sending lots of love

Hi,
Hope all is well. My Cookie is going in on Tuesday to be neutered. My vet has said that he will have to stay in for up to 48 hours afterwards AAH! Worrying what to do when I do pick him up. Should he be in the house with me in an indoor cage for a few days- what bedding should I use? As you are going through this before me, would be grateful for feedback as to how you are getting on and any advice.
Best of luck again, love to bunny!!! x

Hello susieb i had my daisy spayed on mon. I kept her indoors (she still is) and used old towels with newspaper underneath and in her litter tray i lined with newpaper then shredded newspaper and then a paper based litter. Some people used puppy training pads and a wood based litter ( dont use a clumping cat litter as bunnies may eat it and it will cause an impaction in their tum). Just make sure that you clean it out a couple of times a day so her stitches doesnt get infected. Watch her to make sure she doesnt pull at her stitches, i took 3 days off work so i could keep an eye on her.
She should start eating and drinking the same evening or by the next morning, if not you will prob have to take her back to the vets. She should be pooing and weeing by the morning aswell. Daisy stopped eating and drinking and is being treated for stasis at the mo. Dont want to scare you but just keep and eye on her.
Your vet should give you pain relief for a couple of days aswell. If you have any worries contact your vet. Good Luck

Back