• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Speying - buns at vets and advice

kaths101

Warren Veteran
My buns sooty is being speyed today.

im hoping it will calm her down etc - has anyone else had their buns speyed and found their behaviour had improved? Any advice for her after care?

Im really worried. Im really hoping it was the right thing to do - ive just dropped her at the vets and i nearly cried :cry:

Tink was speyed a few months back, her behaviour has improved a little, theres been less growling but I think it takes like up to 8 months for their hormones to settle down fully.

Try not to worry I'm sure your bun will be fine, I was terrified about looking after Tink when she got home but she was up and about within an hour, it was hard to keep her from running around she just wanted to play!

My vet was great and talked me through exactly what to do, Tink was eating straight away so I had no issues, I'm sure you will be the same!

*Vibes for you and your bun*

Hello :wave: My Daisy was spayed yesterday and i was a complete wreck all day till she was home!! She was eating and drinking straight away although she didnt poo or wee till this morning/ during the night. Ive got her indoors so i can keep an eye on her. I was advised not to put her on hay as it could aggrevate her stitches so she has got towels to sit on and in her litter tray ive put shredded newspaper and some paper based litter (must be comfy and she prefered to sit in it and and use her towels for her toilet :roll:)
Im sure she will be fine, sending vibes your way!! :)

Its a fairly routine procedure so try not to worry.

Both my girls have been spayed and its made a world of difference to them. They are much more relaxed. Because my mini rex was so small my vet wanted to wait longer than normal before she was spayed and she was a total nightmare up until she was done.

Your vet should give your bunny some pain meds before you bring her home. Ask just in case and don't be afraid to ask for some if they haven't been given already as its really important she is kept comfortable.

If possible keep her indoors overnight as bunnies cannot regulate their temp very well after GA. Try to tempt her to eat, use all her favs. If she isn't pooing by next morning contact you vet for advice as she may need so more pain meds or a gut stimulant.

Avoid anything that may irritate the wound. Use old towels as suggested or I found puppy training pads to be fab as they are spongy and raelly absorbant.

She'll need to be on cage rest for a few days, or only in the run supervised and try not to let her jump up on anything.

Jet used to hump everything insight before her spay - As soon as she recovered she didn't hump much, the only time she did was when she was claiming dominace over Stevie (his poor head) :lol:

I think most do calm down, especially if caught in time but Jet wsa at least 18 months old at the time.

Thanks everyone - Sooty is home ok. We have her indoors for tonight and maybe the next few days. The vet gave me some pain relief drops so thats ok. She has eaten a nibble of cucumber but thats it and has drunk a bit out the water bowl! no poos yet!

Thanks for your replies x

Back