• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newbie thinking of getting a bunny?

aimee_es

Young Bun
Hello all, :wave:

Hope you dont mind, but i thought i would ask for some advice. I have been thinking for a long time now about getting a rabbit! My husband has agreed, so now i'm getting excited!:love:

But... i want to know if i'm doing the right thing. I never fancied leaving him outside, cause of the cold and amount of time he (or they) would spend alone, although i love the amount of space, and the runs they have attached to them but i have a dog, so i couldn't have the buns running around the house all the time.

I have seen a "Rodent Cage Casita 120" which reviews have said is really good, but is it fair to have this as a permanent home? I dont have the space in my housed to have a large hutch, home made, or store bought.

I just wondered what peoples opinions were? If i had a hutch would the bunny still be happy to come inside to play, but then go back out in the cold?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Aimee xx :?:wave::wave:

Hi :wave: - welcome to RU! Firstly, well done for seeking advice before getting your new bunny/bunnies.

I googled the cage your thinking of getting and whilst it's probably just about OK for being shut in overnight, it's not big enough as a main base at just under 4ft x 2ft.

Do you have a cupboard under the stairs? Lots of people convert theirs to become a permanent 'bunny base' - especially if they're short of space indoors. Could you use baby gates to contain bunny (or the dog) whilst you give bunny some free time? I have two dogs and they've been trained not to touch the rabbits. I don't leave them alone together but I feel pretty confident that they can all have free time together and there's not going to be any disasters. Lots of people on here have houserabbits and dogs that live together.

If space is short in the house and you don't feel confident enough to train your dog to leave bunny alone, then I'd go for an outdoor set up with a minimum 6ft x 2ft hutch with an attached 6ft run. Ideally, get a playhouse/attached run or shed/attached run. But, I'd definitely get a pair of buns rather than a single housebun if they were outdoors. They'd still be more than happy to come into the house during the warmer months but I'm not sure I'd bring them in during the winter as sudden changes in temperature can affect their health. It does mean that you don't build up such a close relationship with them as a bonded pair, they'll have each other for company and will be quite happy. Having had both houserabbits AND outdoor rabbits, I've always found that they are happier outdoors.

Good luck with whatever you decide and send us pictures of the new arrival/s!

Hiya,well done for researching before getting a rabbit!! :wave:

If your bunny's going to be kept out side you really should get two so they have company, a neutered male and spayed female are best, you could get a pair already bonded from a rescue theres lots looking for homes!

If kept outside they need a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with an attached run of 6ft x 4ft at least, if kept indoors the cage you suggested wouldn't be any good there really not sutible for keepin rabbits in, your best best is a dog crate (big one) which you can add a shelf too and stuff, you also get things call nic cubes which make good indoor pens, if you did this the rabbit would need free range for at least 6- 8 hours a day preferably longer, only being locked in for the night, maybe with a puppy pen around the crate to give them extra room.

If you do some searches you'll see lots of lovely set ups with sheds and wendy houses etc.

hope this helps a little

ETA oops mackers you beat me to it!! :lol:

:wave: Hi welcome to RU and well done for doing all your research first Im sure you will make a great bunny mummy. I completely agree with everything that has been said. If you are not wanting them outdoors because of the cold I wouldnt worry about that as buns are very hardy and if you want to spend time with them a shed or wendy house would be great (I spend hours sat in mine) and prob about the same price as a hutch.

There are a couple of rescues not far from you including http://www.rspca-walsall.org.uk/newpages/rabbits.htm and www.fatfluffs.com If you are thinking of getting a bun from a rescue it would be worth approaching them first and asking what their adoption requirements are. Everyone is really helpful on here so feel free to ask lots of questions.

The most important thing when you do get your buns is to post lots of pics on RU :D

Back