• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny boarding...

What should I do about boarding?

• Take him to Mum's

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Holiday at a friend's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Board at the vet

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Something else???

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
What should I do?

I go on holiday in a few weeks, and can't work out how is best to board Mr Fluffs.

Option 1: He used to go on holiday to my Mums, but since we live further away, and now know about his heart murmur/probable arrythmia, I don't really want to subject him to an hour and a quarter in the car. Otherwise that would be first choice as I know he'll be loved and looked after.

Option 2: Last year he stayed with a few girlfriends; they love him LOADS but aren't the most bunny experienced and last time he went he came home with a seriously mucky bum; from over feeding. If I'm fair he was prone to it, the over feeding just really didn't help. He's now clean as a whistle all the time on oxbow and metacam for arthritis so less likely to get messy. I just worry what they would do if something went wrong/whether they would be able to spot it.

Option 3: Stay at the vets. Sometimes they take bunnies in to the resident vet's house, but I've just had a message from the vet sating that as he is so old and on medication, he would have to stay in the hospital as there would be someone around more. Problem being, he is a house bunny well used to his creature comforts and 1:1 attention, and I don't know how well he'd cope.

Any other ideas???

I wouldnt leave him with friends if he needs alot of care and I also wouldnt want him at the vets as he will be confined to a small cage and wont get the exercise he is used to. Option 1 sounds the best.

Hmm this is what I was thinking... I also contemplated leaving him here and getting the lady that looks in on the others to check him... but it wouldn't give him much company.

Do you think my fear that the hour and a bit car journey yo my Mum's might be too much for him is irrational?

I think that compared to staying at the vets, where he may get strange vets/vet nurses looking after him and the car journey i would go with the car journey. At least he will then be with your mum who he used to. :)

I agree, friends may not be the best option in this instance and you may worry that if he was ill, that it would go un-spotted.
The vets sounds ok, but if he likes his creature comforts.... :?

I think option 1 definately. Lots of love and attention - and i guess an hour and a bit's card ride isn't tooo bad. You could maybe break it up into 2??
:)

Back