• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

breeding info?

Hi all,

Having considered for a while i want to start breeding rabbits. Have read on the basics but want to know all there is to know. Can anyone help with internet sites or info for me. Does any of you breed rabbits? Does anyone buy there rabbit supplies online if so where?

Thank Martin

You'll probably find this post won't be too well received here.

However, if you are in the UK, start with the British Rabbit Council. If you are in the US, start with ARBA.

If you're going to be responsible about it, then you need to find a responsible breeder as a mentor.

I would advise you to volunteer for a rabbit rescue for a while, as it will be useful for you to know where the rabbits end up. If after that, you still want to breed rabbits, go ahead!

This the op has posted on another site
if you are the man who has bought two does from a zoo I suggest not breeding from them
You do not know their genetic background and no decent breeder would get their stock from a zoo
You really need to do more research on rabbits then find a breeder with a good reputation to help you find quality animals ..

Breeding any animal should not be gone into lightly..preferably..from a rescue viewpoint..not at all

Goodness how calm of me..must be the trifle I had earlier!:lol:

I cannot believe some of the comments on here. I can hang my head up in shame and say that I wanted to breed Hermione and Oscar when I first got them, not knowing a single god damn thing about it. It it wasn't for the humble people on here, I would have gone ahead and done it.
I was told VERY politley what I was going to expect, and it made me run a mile, and I got Oscar neutered that week. It was peoples nice nature on here that made me stay, and learn all about rescues, how to care for rabbits PROPERLY. If i got this treatment, I would have said sod it and done my own thing. What is the point on jumping on this new person when they are looking for information? I guess peoples paitence have diminished in the 18 months I've been here.

But to the original poster, I can highly reccomend you not to breed your rabbits. A rabbits genetics HAVE to be traced back to make sure there are no genetic malfunctions. You don't want to end up selling ill bunnies to anyone. Also, neutered bunnies are happier and friendlier bunnies. You don't want spraying horrible :censored:'s running around your feet all the time!
there are 30,000 bunnies dumped in rescues every year, so PLEASE don't add to the statistics. so many bunnies are looking for their forever homes, and they are being stopped becuase of people breeding all the time :cry:

Last edited:
Back