• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent Help Please U/D eye injury, having op

Doddy

Alpha Buck
I have just brought Roxy home after spending 4 days at the vets in Stasis. THe vet told me that as they are 5yrs old, they should rebond no problem. However, they are fighting. Chasing around the garden, fur flying everywhere.

Do I jsut leave them to it and let them sort themselves out??

Last edited:
Rabbits work on smell mostly and after a stay at the vets, she'll smell wrong. Catch her and give her a good rub in dirty bedding from their hutch/cage. Then put them together somewhere neutral and a bit smaller than the garden. Hopefully they should then settle and realise they know each other.

It's Roxy attacking Angelica, so is it cuz Angelica smells different to what Roxy has been used to???

I would go with going what Tamsin said. 4 days is a long time to be apart for some buns.

It could be Roxy is angry at Angelica for not being there, or she is taking her fear and anger on her.

But yes, neutral territory is a good start.

i have nowhere that is neutral. They both have free roam of the garden. Roxy is now hide behind a bike and I can't get her out. She snaps at me when I try and prod her out, and makes a grunting sound.

How about if I get them both into their shed, and I jsut sit in there with them for a while? I am worried Roxy will get sick again, and I dont' want Angelica getting sick with stress.....

I am so pleased and relieved to have Roxy home, I didn't think they would end up fighting like this.

Will they actually hurt one another, or is it a domination thing, or an anger thing, that Roxy was taken away somewhere and she is unhappy with us

It is possible they could do serious damage, so if they are fighting then you can't leave them together unsupervised (obviously if its full on fighting with injuries you can't leave them together whether you supervise or not). Could you maybe bring them in? Maybe do it in the bath, with out water?

Or maybe put them both in a carrier and take them on a car journey together-that often works.

Can you bring them indoors for a bit and pop them on the kitchen floor or in the bathroom? It sounds as if they need somewhere a bit smaller and more unfamiliar. Hopefully in a smaller space they will settle down again quickly but you will need to be very careful as it's a bit like a new bond again now. Good luck xx

I would pop them in their carrier for a few minutes together. You need to get them used to each other again. Could you not keep them in the kitchen overnight? Then you'll be able to hear if theyre fighting? I wouldnt leave them unsupervised if theyre fighting badly.

Hope they bond soon xxxx

At the moment, its mainly kicking each other, and seems to be nipping at bums.
God this is as stressful as Roxy being ill!

The carrier I have isn't realyl big enough for both of them...it's a very tight squeeze. I don't have a door on my kitchen....my house isn't very rabbit friendly I'm afraid.
I could try the bathroom I guess...How long would I need to keep them in there before putting them back into their home?
Sorry for all the questions....I just want them happy again! Maybe I should have insisted that the vet took both of them together. I will do if need be in the future!!!

Thanks for the help...I need it!

I wouldn't suggest having them unspuervised tonight, so if there is a way to maybe block off some part of your house so you can hear if they fight, that might be a good thing to do.

They are most likely to fight at dawn and dusk, which is why it would be a risk to have them unsupervised after this, today.

I agree with Santa that this is starting from scratch as a new bond, so take it slow and watch them for how its going. You might find a drop of vanilla essence above their nose might help.

I had to separate them. Roxy has got a cut eye, and will have to go to the vets again in the morning :cry: I now have her in the house in the carrier alone. I feel sooo bad. I have failed them both.

Will I ever be able to rebond them? They are both approx 5 yrs old.

I would bring them into the house somewhere neutral and try to rebond slowly. It may take a few days for them to get used to each other again.

Can you rub Roxy with a blanket they both used to get rid of any "vet" smells.

I'm glad Roxy is OK now, good luck.

I am running out of space! I have had to bring Roxy inside tonight as there is no way they can be together. I will have to limit where in the house i take her as I need somewhere to stay neutral.

Does anyone know of anyone in Bucks who is experienced in bonding???

I am running out of space! I have had to bring Roxy inside tonight as there is no way they can be together. I will have to limit where in the house i take her as I need somewhere to stay neutral.

well janice in twickenham can do it. and i would have offered tho in berkshire but i will be busy bonding my latest pair this coming week.sorry. hmm what i would sugggest is get some white vinegar spray from wilko its 99p then wipe down everything they own in the garden if possible from toys etc. and then put them bothi n a small run area indoors where you have neutralised iv had this problem before i would suggest for once they have been rebonded getting a new carrier big enough for the both of them in fact get one now and take them on a short car ride together to stress them they will often come together in the car. dont feel you have failed them you werent to know we have had this happen ourselves in the past and sadly the pair in question never rebonded again :( we did try lots of things but injurys kept happening. i really think an expierianced bonder is your best bet try contacting the duchess(helen) she will prob know of people in your area or may be able to help more. fingers crossed you can get them back together in the near future. xx

dont worry abotu keeping an area neutral. you can neutralise an area by wipoing it down with white vinegar as it removes the smells. x

Well....Roxy is currently in the vets having her eye operated on:(

I seriously don't think I will be able to get these two together again. I kept Angelica in the shed this morning while Roxy roamed around outside..they were still trying to fight thru the shed door (it's meshed).
When Roxy is recovered, I will try an experienced bonder..it is breaking my heart to see these two fight..they were so close.

The vet has warned me that as ROxy is still recovering from stasis, the op is risky.

So now I am waiting for the phonecall....

could I have some vibes for her please?

Well....Roxy is currently in the vets having her eye operated on:(

I seriously don't think I will be able to get these two together again. I kept Angelica in the shed this morning while Roxy roamed around outside..they were still trying to fight thru the shed door (it's meshed).
When Roxy is recovered, I will try an experienced bonder..it is breaking my heart to see these two fight..they were so close.

The vet has warned me that as ROxy is still recovering from stasis, the op is risky.

So now I am waiting for the phonecall....

could I have some vibes for her please?

oh dear :( major vibes your way xxxx

Oh dear, what a horrible situation. Please let us know when you hear more.

Don't give up on bonding them though, yes, it may not be possible, but with some time and careful planning and executing (of plans, not rabbits), then you may get there.

Are you able to house them separately?

I have a dilemma cuz they did share a 6x4 shed. I don't know whether to move my bonded boys into the shed (after a good disinfection and clean up) and jsut get another hutch, and house the girls separately. I think that will be the best move.
I don't think it would work if sectioned off the shed and gave them half each..i think they will still fight thru the divide, plus then it makes the areas quite small.

This time last week, they were a happy couple, I don't know why Roxy went in stasis, and now this has ruined their bond. :cry::cry::cry:

I hate waiting for the phonecall

I hope everything has gone OK with the op.

Would it be an option to bond one of the girls with the boys in the future?

Let us know how Roxy is. Sending lots of vibes.

Back