• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Rabbits Get Oral Thrush ?

Guinea pigs can, so I would imagine rabbits can. Treatment for guinea pigs is with Daktarin oral gel.

Yes they do i contacted vedra at CCT to get dosages for my rabbit that stopped eating even though he had a dental and xrays proved nothing was wrong with him to this day he still only eats softened pellets and bannana

But if you have oral thrush you want to eat hard things to scratch it surely??? Daktarin range is yummy by the way!!

No ! it causes inflamation of the mouth/gums so they dont eat its very painfull guinea pigs die because this goes unnoticed . The fungus can be down inside their stomach it causes lots of problems , if any rabbit or pig stops eating and nothing can be found to be wrong with them i would give daktarin gel it wont do any harm and could save their lives ;)

Last edited:
Don't know what the dose of Daktarin oral gel for a bunny would be, but guinea pigs get 0.5 ml 3 x a day for the first week, 2 x a day for the 2nd week and 1 x a day for the 3rd, if that helps any.

Don't know what the dose of Daktarin oral gel for a bunny would be, but guinea pigs get 0.5 ml 3 x a day for the first week, 2 x a day for the 2nd week and 1 x a day for the 3rd, if that helps any.

Thanks Sarah, I'll speak with C about it today :wave:

was reading somewhere else about thrush and oral thrush in humans and they also suggested that many digestive problems (esp constipation) can be caused by low levels of thrush in the digestive system throat downwards. As I romp towards menopause I am starting to get oral thrush and it itches like hell (I have to say it makes me want t eat crusty toast - but obviously diff. in buns!)

was reading somewhere else about thrush and oral thrush in humans and they also suggested that many digestive problems (esp constipation) can be caused by low levels of thrush in the digestive system throat downwards. As I romp towards menopause I am starting to get oral thrush and it itches like hell (I have to say it makes me want t eat crusty toast - but obviously diff. in buns!)

I had OT on my tongue. It didnt itch at all but hurt like :censored:

The stuff I had to treat it was pretty gross !!

Back