• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange Molt

brijon

New Kit
Hi,
My male rabbit has recently began to look particularly untidy and his fur is coming out in big thick clumps.
He isn't a long haired rabbit but has particularly thick, velvety hair... I noticed partches which were shorter than the rest but not bald (I assume this is new growth). He also feels dirty, as if he's been rolling around in soil, which although he does do, never feels like this.
I have washed him and brushed him so get quite alot of the fur off but he still looks scraggly. He also doesn't have any flea's as far as I'm aware and he is checked frequently or any scabby bits.

Do you think this could be normal seasonal molting? I've had him for two years and have never noticed it before!

He is an un newtered, harlequin x lop....currently living alone as his mate has been put in her own pen to look after her babies! :)

I just wanted to know if there was anything to worry about.

Thanks,
Briony

I will be interested to know any answers regarding this as my Penny Pocket is looking particulary scruffy this moult. Some of her fur is shorter which I also assume is new growth but I can't remember her being like this last year? Fur is just coming off her in droves.

My gizmo is the same, seems to be moulting alot more than last year. It might be the seasons are different to last year which makes their moulting out of sync.

Yep, I reckon so - my Harlequin Rex has been the same! This is his first year of moulting like this - great big clumps coming out - he looked like he had a scar line as the fur was coming out around it -but he's done and is fine now! Till next year!

My bun is the same! I nearly took her to the vets but the fear of being laughed out of the surgery becasue its only her molting put me off :lol:

Could it be mites

Puddle and Elliot appeared to be moulting very heavily, fur was coming out in clumps. I checked above their tails and they had white dandruff that matched other RU posts on mites. Our vet did a microscope test on both and they did have mites. I gave them Xeno 450 as prescribed by the vet and they are back to their normal selves now. :)

Back