• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New grooming brush on the market

Hi everyone:wave: Can you let me know if you have used the new grooming tool called the 'Furminator', it's mainly for dogs and cats but my local shop says you can use it on rabbits. My bunny moults really very badly and has also had blocked gut problems twice this year already so I'm hoping this tool will help cut down the excess fur problem which may have been just one of the factors of his gut problems, I was wondering if anyone had used this on their rabbits as they are expensive so I'd rather know if they are worth the money before I splash out and get one. Saying that, I have increased his hay and changed his food to include the max fibre intake for him so fingers crossed all will be well in the future :)

Bunny mummy to '2 super naughty monsters - Parsnip and Pixie'!!!

I have one for my lot. Got mine off ebay for a £10 so a bit of a bargain. I swear by mine though. The only thing is that it can be quite harsh for buns skin so just to be aware of that and the pressure you put on. My buns don't seem to mind and my garden is usually covered in fluff afterwards - litterally covered! :lol: The birds must have to cosiest nests going?! :lol:

My mum was looking at dog brushes a while ago and I told her about Furminators after someone on here got one for a bunny. She got one and all our faces were like this - :shock: - at the amount of hair that came out of the dogs and the cat. I went on to borrow it for Carlton! Unlike other groming brushes, they all seem to actually enjoy being groomed by it, other brushes they all run a mile!

I got one off QVC and I hated it and sent it straight back. It didn't matter how I used it, I found it hardly touched the undercoat and it was 'cutting' the top coat. I much prefer a common or garden 'undercoat rake'. I also found that it was very 'hard' as it has hardly any length of teeth. I can't quite explain this very well but it's kind of designed like a blade that has teeth over the top of it. The blade is only about half an inch below the top of the teeth so there's no depth of tooth to get down into the coat. I don't think I'd want to use one on a bunny with their tender skin.

We use one for our dogs and I have used it on the larger bunnys which worked a treat. We have the large one so may at some point order the small one just for the buns.

We have a boxer and rotties (who have double coats) and I have to say it's the best thing we've found, works a treat. Word of caution though, as well as removing excess undercoat it also thins the coat slightly so I wouldn't use it more than once a week max.

Hope that helps :)

I have one for the cat and it works wonders on her.

As others have said though it can be quite harsh on delicate bunny skin because the teeth are more like blades. I tried it on Alfie and he wasn't impressed with it at all - he's much happier with a rubber grooming glove, but it's a case of trial and error. At least you can send it back if you don't like it. ;)

I have a lab and a rottie, i've had mine about a yr and couldnt' recommend them enuff, when i 1st got it i got 2 bags full of lab and it was still coming, now i do it every other day its not so bad, and they look fab :love: like said go careful with the buns ;)

Last edited:
Back