• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just spent a fortune!!!!

kayburdett

Warren Scout
Just thought i'd share my good news with you before my husband kills me lol.
The money from the sale of our static caravan went into my account today and before i transferred it to our savings i treated my bunnies :love::love:
I,ve just brought them a double story hutch that is two seperate hutches both measuring 6x3x2 ft. my two mini rex's will live in one while my conti will live in the other. now all my conti needs is a wife to share his new abode with.
you may not be hearing from me again lol when my hubby gets home:oops:

Hope you dont get in too much trouble!!!!!! Dont think the hutch will be big enough for a conti though there big buns!

it will be fine he's not in it all day and has the run of the house and garden the other two will only sleep in it also as they are out in the run all day. they will have more room than i have in my little house lol.

Do you not think it would be more helpful to suggest what is the right size rather than making rude comments? That was the biggest that i have found and i thought i was doing the right thing. As i have said he is a house bun and spends all of his time when i am at home in the house and using the cat flap to the garden at present he lives in the cupboard in the kitchen in a dog pen which is very large. It really gets my back up when people are plain rude and make snidey comments rather than give helpful advice :(

He prefers being outside and i spend all of my time trying to get him out of the rex's hutch when i have left the door open accidentally and they are in the run. Also the cupboard is like a pantry thats under the stairs and it isn't always convenient for his big cage to be in there as the gas and electric meters are behind it. it isn't a permanent move although it will be for my other buns who are mini rexs. he will spend all day in the house and garden still.

He prefers being outside and i spend all of my time trying to get him out of the rex's hutch when i have left the door open accidentally and they are in the run. Also the cupboard is like a pantry thats under the stairs and it isn't always convenient for his big cage to be in there as the gas and electric meters are behind it. it isn't a permanent move although it will be for my other buns who are mini rexs. he will spend all day in the house and garden still.

I think it's fine as long as he gets a run around in the day :)
What about making a large hole in the run and hutch, and attatching that when he's in? You could just make something to cover the holes during the day when the rexies are out?

Awww good luck when your hubby gets home :lol:

Can you clarify - is the hutch 6ft long by 3ft deep and 2ft high each level, or is it 6ft long by 2ft deep by 3ft high in total or each level? It's a bit hard to tell and makes quite a lot of difference to the size :)

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a hutch suitable for a conti to be shut in to be honest, most people have either a shed with run attached or something like a dog kennel similar to this: http://www.ideas-4-pets.com/dog-ken...-dog-kennels-mesh-runs-c-248_156_426_495.html

The main problem with a hutch is the head height, although rabbits do like to squish themselves into little spaces, they need to be able to get out when they want to. A conti in a 2ft or even 3ft high hutch wouldn't be able to stand up on its back legs and stretch, or possibly even bend over easily to eat its caecatrophs. The RSPCA suggests that as a base, rabbits should be able to stand up fully without its ears touching the ceiling, and to be able to take 3-4 hops in a straight line. My tiny nethies can hop nearly 6ft in three hops so I would think a conti would need something substantially bigger to meet this. I'd have thought that sort of hutch would make an ideal garden shelter for him while he is out enjoying the garden, but not to shut him in :)

Santa its 3ft high x 2ft wide.
He won't sleep in it overnight it may just be a temporary thing if i ever need to put him somewhere safe temporarily. The rexs will live in their hutch permanently although they go out each day into the run.
I'm wanting to find him a wife so know it won't be big enough for both of them permanently. up until now my hubby has built my hutches but now i have two rexs wanted something bigger for them and also somewhere for marley if needs be i know it wouldn't be suitable if he were in it all day everyday. thanks Kay

Back