• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovery time following dental procedure

Hi there,

Recovery times differ from bun to bun. I've had 3 dental buns, all were GA's & dealt with by the same vet during the morning but each were different with their recovery times

I bring Toby home from the vets around 4pm. I put him in his indoor hutch & give him some of his favourite chopped up veg & pellets. He will ususally start nibbling on the fresh food & then eat some hay within an hour of coming home. He is usually back to normal by around 8pm - normal as in eating, pooing, hopping round the house & demanding nose rubs.

My first rabbit was very quite & doppy & didn't eat very much but next day was normal. My second bun was the one most uneffected by the GA & was normal as soon as I brought him home around 6pm except that he only ate his pellets if they had been damped down to make them soft for the first few days after his dental.

with any GA procedure it can depend on how the rabbit reacts to GA and the hospitalisation.

I would say 12 hours for most of mine - but with dentals it can take a bit longer if the teeth were really rubbing and the mouth will still be painful.

The most important thing is to keep them pain free - I assume the vet gave you some painkiller (Metacam or Meloxivet by name) to take home and give?

If s/he is not eating soon then they may need to have a check up and get some fluids amd special syringe feed to get them going again. If you are a novice this is best done at vets.

Hi, I agree with what's already been said. Over the years I've had 3 buns in for dentals and all have been back to normal within 24 hrs. One bounced back straight away, the other took a day to fully recover from the GA. As long as they are eating a bit but pooing then I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.

Back