• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recovery time following dental procedure

It varies so much. My 6 year old chronic snuffly bunny was in for a dental on Tuesday, she was done around 2pm and was up bouncing about and eating normally by 4pm! But I know of other younger, perfectly healthy bunnies who can take a good couple of days before they are themselves again.

It also depends on what anaesthetic protocol is used as there are a few different options that can be used depending on the rabbit. Some people find that their older/poorly bunnies wake up more quickly if they have had a gas only GA but I seem to be fortunate that my little one is fine with the injected induction (there is also a reversal agent that can be used with this). Most vets prefer to use the injectable anaesthetics to start off with as the gas only stings and smells odd so it isn't very pleasant for the rabbit.

My vet also routinely gives sub-cut fluids (as well as painkiller etc) and this does seem to help them to recover more quickly, as the fluids keep them well hydrated and help to flush the anaesthetic out of their system more quickly.

So, not terribly helpfully perhaps, the answer is "it depends". It can be anything from - fine pretty much straight away, through to a good few days. The key thing is that if there isn't much improvement overnight, to go back and make sure the bun is given adequate meds such as pain relief, gut stimulant etc as necessary to help them to recover.

Thank you x

I have an apt with the vet at 11.10

Dumpling is eating and pooing but not normally (starts to eat then turns away, sloppy poo). Her dental was in Saturday afternoon.

:?

As for pain relief, she had lots when in the hospital - she had gut stasis - but i was sent home with nothing. So no pain relief for 24 hours since i picked her up.

All rabbits are different when it comes to recovering my bun Crystal needs dentals roughly every 4 months she seemed to recover slowly the last 2 times shes been under but she had another dental on wedensday and recovered really fast even the vet said she was eating them out of food :shock:

hope your buns ok hun :love:

Thanks.

Just got back from the vet. She gave Dumpling a painkiller injection and more Zantac for me to take home. She gave me some Panacur at my request - discussed possibility of EC as underlying problem but she wouldn't be drawn on that. She seemed to want to treat this incident in isolation and repeatedly told me to come back if Dumpling's appetite has not returned by the morning.

I am obviously concerned. No nearer to getting to the bottom of the repeated gut stasis and still got one unhappy bunny. At least she's eating and there is poo albeit sloppy. Just hope this is the last time but somehow, I doubt that.

:cry:

Had she had probiotics ? if not I'd get some and add to her drinking water..will help balance her gut flora:D
hope she picks up

Probiotics???!!

Am so clueless, can't seem to do right by my bunny.

Tried to talk to the vet about allowing me to take some meds that I could give to my buns myself as I may be useless but can sure recognise when they are in stasis. But she said she couldn't give me a thing except for Panacur as the rest is prescribed.

Nearly lost Dumpling on Friday because I was at work and OH didn't recognise the signs in time. Don't blame him at all - he did his very best but it worries me that this could happen again when I'm not about. Would make me feel happier to have some meds in so I can crack on with the treatment without the urgent need of a vet. Guess this is not to be.
:cry:

Back