• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please! Open wound!

Sandra

Warren Scout
Hi, our rex girl has an open wound a little to the left of her left front leg. The opening is almost 1 cm long and you can see straight in to the flesh :cry: It is not bleeding and apart from her limping a bit on her left front leg, she is acting normal. Eating, drinking, pooing, peeing etc.

What should we do about the wound? As we are located in Jordan, the last thing we want to do it get the vet to stitch her up as the vets here know nothing about rabbits and we would be too scared to let them sedate her... And the animal hospital is closed due to the end of Ramadan:(

I called my former vet in Iceland and she told me to get Fucidin cream for the wound, and then put a fatter cream on top. And keep hairs out of the wound.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Can you flush the wound with saline or sterile water and then disinfect it using hibitane/hibiscrub solution on cotton wool? Do you have any wound disinfectant? How deep is it? I think it is likely that your bunny will need a course of antibiotics (orally) even if you do get the wound sealed up. I'm thinking that it may need stitching if the edges of the wound pull apart too far? It may be possible for them to do this under a local anaesthetic rather than a full on GA?

To be honest i'm just guessing here basic first aid - I would say vet but I understand your reservations. They may have the appropriate disinfectants/creams/bandaging and antibiotics however and therefore the trip might be worth it?

hmmm

Well while its difficult to have vets that dont know a great deal about bunnies, they know more than we do so i would take her to the vet. The wound could get infected and that could become an abscess etc.

I would just ask exactly what they are doing and take advice from here etc.
But i certainly wouldnt treat a wound as you described without a vet.
xxx

Treating any flesh wound is going to be pretty standard with any species - I think overall your best bet is going to be popping her along to the vet. As I said it may not warrant a GA and a local can be given instead potentially depending on the site and access. Good luck :)
Plus pain relief and antibiotics are probably sensible. Just check any antibiotics prescribed against the ones contraindicated in rabbits. Rather hurried and rushed answers from me today apologies! I hope it all works out ok

Hi, I finally got hold of a vet who will see us in two hours! I also got hold of Fucidin cream and Betadine solution and ointment. If the vet suggest stitches we will go for a local - does any of you know what is used for local sedation in bunnies??

The animal hospital opens tomorrow so I can get antibiotics for her from there. They at least know something about rabbits...

Thanks!:wave:

I would suggest keeping some Hibiscrub and vet wrap bandage (self adhesive) in the bunny first aid kit. Luckily we've not had problems with the bunnies but when the dogs have had cuts from running through undergrowth or caught their ears then it's a god send. Hope your bunny is ok :)

Just came from the vet. Bunny got 15 stitches:shock: The wound opened on the way and was very big when we came to the vet. I didn't trust him to sedate her fully so she had to manage with local only. It was absolutely horrible :cry: She did incredibly well and the stitches looks good. Bunny is now home with her hubby and has started to eat a bit :)

She is amazing :love:

Back