• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how far have yous come since joining rabbit forums?

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
care and knoledge wise?

its amazing 4 years ago i joined another rabbit forum in a panic because Crystal was pulling her fur out and nesting :lol: I had no idea about phantom pregnancies!

luckily i got the advice from my vets about neutering the day i got Smudge for a friend for crystal or probably wouldnt have known it was possible!

my accomodation has become so much better Crystal and Smudge lived in a 3ft plastic cage which i had previously used for 2 Guinea pigs (i know now that it was even small for them to live in!)

I thought it was ok to breed my rabbits i mean what harm would a couple more rabbits in the world do? wish id known then what i know now!

when Lilli-mai was ill my vet was stumped at what was wrong because of stuff ive read on here i demanded a bloodtest sadly it was to late to save her as by teh time her results came back she was already dead. so my knoledge on illnesses symptooms etc. has dramatically improved.

its amazing how far ive come since then.

Well Jose's gone from living in an indoor cage (which i now realise was far too small for her) - to having her own room :love:

matthew and tabby had a double cage with height adjustment before i came here, and a run to use when i was home (their ideas of interior design and mine don't fit - i like wallpaper) but now they have their own room and one of the cages is their cosey hidey hole (with cloths all over the top as they were sitting up there anyway) and the other, lid-less, is for poo and digging.

i can also speak quite confidently about baytril (though i don't give advice, i havent got there yet) and i watch my bunnies like a hawk (eek! wrong metaphor!) for signs of ailments like overgrown teeth, fly-strike, abcesses and stasis.

the biggest change though is knowing there is somewhere to come if the buns do have issues, knowing i could describe symptoms and people here would probably have more idea than the vet!

Thanks to RU I actually diagnosed illues myself and probably saved Autumn's life. I was adamant that she was sick and because I knew what to look for I could actually feel that her stmach was distended. I took the morning off work to rush her in. If I hadn't heard of it via RU I'd probably just have thought she was a bit quiet.

I've only been on here for 2 months (the time I've had my bunnies) but I have learnt soooo much.

I had a Rabbit Care book that I got from PAH but it was published in 1994 or something and everything was totally out of date. It even advised "scruffing" as a means of lifting a rabbit, if you couldnt pick it up in the normal way!!!

Anyway that book is gathering dust! I pretty much look on here every day to see whats new and read more about rabbit's needs. I've had so much helpful advice from everyone, its great! Still lots to learn I am sure but its the first place I would come for advice. If not the only place (apart from a vet!!).

I've only been on here for 2 months (the time I've had my bunnies) but I have learnt soooo much.

I had a Rabbit Care book that I got from PAH but it was published in 1994 or something and everything was totally out of date. It even advised "scruffing" as a means of lifting a rabbit, if you couldnt pick it up in the normal way!!!

Anyway that book is gathering dust! I pretty much look on here every day to see whats new and read more about rabbit's needs. I've had so much helpful advice from everyone, its great! Still lots to learn I am sure but its the first place I would come for advice. If not the only place (apart from a vet!!).

I found a load of rabbit care books, and leaflets a few months ago. I'd had them since my first ever rabbit. I read through them, and annotated the whole thing :lol:

Oh so so far!

I joined RU just after I saved Mopsy. I had had Peter for almost 2 years and knew nothing about neutering or vacs:oops: He had lived by himself in a small hutch and run.:oops::(

Now I know about neutering, spaying, vacs, rescue buns, spotting out for illness, appropriate housing etc etc etc.....

I also now have 4 buns, 2 of those thanks to RU and I am planning to bond all 4 and have a big wendy house and run for them.:D Both Peters life and mine have been transformed by finding RU. I :love: this forum.

I have been a member for nearly a yr now and i'm still learning, the intention was i did alot of homework before i got a rabbit, but i got a rabbit sooner than i thought after seeing the state of him :cry: so had to do my homework very quickly too ;) i asked alot of questions probaly ones that had been asked before but i needed to get it right :oops: i think i've helped him no end and he's so happy from when i first saw him in his tiny little hutch, its took nearly a yr but he's there now and theres no turning back, we just need to find him a wifey now :love:

Such a long way and so much further to go. I am learning all the time. I knew nothing when I got my 2 boys :oops::oops:and everything I know now I learnt on here!:D:D

So thanks everyone who has ever helped me along the way.

I didnt know rabbits needed worming! And I had no idea about vacs or rabbit savvy vets..... no vet has ever told me I need to vac.... or why buns should be neutered. I didnt even think about how horrid breeding was. :oops::oops:

This place is great. :D

Somewhere to come and talk about things that I worry about... see what else is going on etc.... its great to have an outlet that have simular or more knowledge :D

PS... I never even knew you could rescue buns.... Ive never seen any on rescue programmes etc.........

Ive been on here since earlier this year and I have learnt so so so much on how to look after buns and care for them. Even though my bun is 5 years old im still learning. This is a great place, with friendly people :)

ive only been on here for a few months but ive learnt so much more than what ive read in books, everyone is really friendly and helpful. I didnt realise what little i knew before :oops: esp about rescues and rescuing bunnies.

I'd already realised my bunns needed more space that their cage. They have an enclosure now which probably isn't big enough but I am stumped for space. They have the run of upstairs when someone is around and I try to make sure they are out for a while in the morning and evening. So I think they have adequate.

I have learnt that pellets are best so I am moving them onto them, and that I feed them far too much mix. That they need loads and loads of hay and they need it fresh. That mineral stones are no good and the earliest age to spay/neuter/etc. I have also learnt that there are far more rescue rabbits needing homes than I thought.

Back