• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

house rabbits

as i eventually want to house-train my bunnies so they can be in my room with me most of the time what is the best way to go about it? i want to get them litter trained first as i dont think my mum would be too happy with accidents on the carpet :lol: but once that is done can rabbits live quite happily indoors?

as i have tv, computer etc in my room = wires i know ill need to keep an extra eye on them, but how long does it take for a rabbit to become fully house-trained? and how do i go about doing it? today i brought them into the bathroom for a few hours, should i carry on doing that untill they are litter-trained before introducing them to my room?!

sorry for all the questions, i am so confused :lol:

xxx

:wave: its tricky isnt it:lol:

do they have a cage as a base..for sleeps overnite and when youre not in...or are they outdoors?

start off with a cage base..either a second hand one.or a cheap dog pen....seen a smaller one for £20 on ebay...you dont need the massive ones if youre only trianing them before they go free range.
but they do need room!

you place a litter tray or maybe two if the buns live together int he cage/crate/playpen and when they wee outside the tray..soak it up with a small bit of tissue ir kitchen towel so oyu can place small pieces int he tray ate the egdes and back..and then nay poops do this too.
be aware tho that two or more buns or a bun with other pets..will mark their territory by pooping or peeing. poops are hooverable..wees are not!
if you cant use a cage or crate..try a metal folding run and fold it to fit an area in yourroom..put some old lino cut offs on the floor area as it make sit easier to clean.
tip...wees have chalky depsoits int hem and so white vinegar is the best thing to clean it off with..also use it where a bunyn has peed and they wont pee there again..unless your bun is my bertie:lol:

let them out for a litte run and then every now and then pop them on their tray like potty training a baby is th eonly way i can liken it to.
some buns do weird things when they want to wee..my first doe spun in cirlces and each time we popped her on her tray and she did it herself in about three days!! some dig and get fidgety and kinds desperate looking...tray again! if bunny poops then soon theyre likely to wee..so do it again then...but make sure if they go you reward them with a bit of greens and a good buny and a nsoe rub.
its time consuming and it can be easy or hell...or they do it themslevs or they refuse to do it...theyre stubborn critters.
in their cage keep the contents of their litter box different to the floor of their cage or their bed...its eaiser for them to realsie it then.
As the get used to the tray you can let them out longer and longert but always make sure they have access to the tray at all times..sometimes its handy to have a tray out with them..bit it must have sme wees or poops in it soit smells of them.
when you clean the tray out the first few times..only wipe it clean with paper towels then put fresh litter in with a teeny amount of wet litter and a few poops..this helps them learn its theirs. then each time you wash out the tray..and dry it..always "reserve" a bit of wet litter and poops to put in.
they will soon get the hang of it.
my latest addition another rescue bun is very good but it took time to relaise he only likes bio catolet paper cat litter by itself in his tray...the others have this with a covering or russell rabbit bedding and some hay..hes a weirdo!

he does get some poops out..mainly jumping in and out his tray but he likes to leave some outside his end of under my daughetrs bed to signify to the cats...this is mine....

i have found lop buns easier to train..but hes proved me worng as did bandit...
does are usually more fussy but then lot sof folks say they get a "devil may care doe" who goes where she pleases and thats that.
but at heart all buns are cleaner than we give them credit for as int he wild they dig a latrine and the buns all use it.

cover cables and wires as best you can...we use this piping looks like narrow vaccum bendy hose. but merlin ate thru it in seconds! the others dont.
so we have some stuff from maplin...its stick to the wall plastic ducting really..looks lovely and neat in pictures..we havent done ours yet...lol.
your mum would think it the better option..mine does...i have yet to put hers up tho.

beware shoes..wooden furniture shelves bed etc...spray with bitter lime or bitter apple spray..or rub some essntial oils of lavendar etc...mine hate that but love real lavendar..weirdo buns!

there are so many folks who can help you more on here..but i hope ive given you a start. oh and nip down the library and ask for...living with a house rabbit by linda dykes and helen flack;)

I have house rabbits...two pests! :lol:: be prepared for destruction! They have had all the wallpaper up to nearly three feet up...tiptoe bunnies! Three comp keyboards cables,three phone charger cables,one lap top charger cable,one electric blanket cable,one lamp cable.

Yes they were under supervision at all times,but they are fast and their teeth are razor sharp chisels.

However they are totally litter trained,just the odd poop trail when they jump out too soon etc.

They are caged at night.

Last edited:
Back