• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To heat or not to heat....

NLENG2000

Mama Doe
My OH and I are having a debate as to whether or not we need to heat the new Bunny Shed we are kitting out at the moment. The plan is to put their current hutch in the shed with them so they have some familiar territory, but to then put plywood round the walls for insulation and to stop bunny teeth eating their way out of the shed :lol::lol:

Do you think we need to put a heater in there as well for cold nights? They were outside in a hutch all last winter and we just put a blanket over the hutch as well as the hutch hugger which provided insultation from the wind. We wouldnt use this obviously in the shed.

What do you think.. help settle the argument.... please ;)

I would put insulation between the walls and the plywood too :)

To be honest I probably wouldn't heat it, my buns are all outside all year and as long as they have warm, dry places to snuggle into, they don't seem to mind the cold and in fact often choose to sit out in it even when it's absolutely freezing - that's what their winter coats are for! I'd be concerned that having a heater would mimic them being indoors overnight, so in effect it would make them feel colder during the day when the heater wasn't on.

Hi Hun

I honestly wouldn't - they will get used to any changing weather and I would worry about what would happen if it broke down - they would be dependant on it and what would you do? Also may be a fire hazzard?????

Bless ya hun but think they will be just fine with palace you are putting together !!! xx

Agree with the above posts - no heating necessary! I've insulated my shed with polystyrene between the shed walls and the plywood. This keeps it nice and cool in the summer and (hopefully) slightly warmer in the winter. Having said that, I've had buns for 20 years and this is the first year I've insulated. My buns have always sat in their run all night, even when it's minus 10 degrees! I think we insulate more for our own peace of mind rather than because the bunnies prefer it.

Thanks everyone, thats really helpful. You've confirmed what I was thinking, but it's always great to have second opinions!

Back