• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent advice please

ali-w

New Kit
We have got two cashmere mini lops which we brought 4 weeks ago and we were told they were sisters. We were also told they were 9 weeks old so that now makes them about 13/14 weeks old. We were watching them earlier and one of them was trying to mount the other, after searching this forum on how to sex them we caught the one (millie) which was trying to mount the other and are pretty sure it is female as we could not feel or see any testicles and the bit that sticks out did not look like a penis it did look more like the female genitles. Could anyone please tell me if females do try to mount each other at this age. Any help would be much appreciated as now im worried that molly could get/be pregnant :?

Thanks

Yes females do mount each other when trying to display dominance.

I would get the gender of your Rabbits checked by a Vet tomorrow to avoid an 'accidental pregnancy' if one happens to be a Buck

Mounting is a dominance thing as well as a sexual thing so you could well still have 2 females but I would definatley get them both checked by a good vet - my 2 sister buns turned out to be brother and sister!

If the vet says they are both females its worth asking at what age they would be happy to spay them at as this will help calm the hormones down

As well as dominance it can be a sign that a rabbit is ready to mate, so it might indicate she has started adolescence. It may be from now on that you have to keep a super close eye on them for fear of fighting due to hormones-that risk should ease once they are spayed.

I had two girls who fought until I had them both spayed. They will mount each other, which is a little bizarre!

Thanks for the quick replies , will be taking them to the vets tomorrow to get their sex confirmed , hope they dont start fighting as they are allways cuddled up together at the moment and it will be several weeks before they would be old enough to be spayed. Millie the one mounting is a fair bit bigger than Molly so hope it is just a dominance thing or if she turns out to be a little boy at least we could have him done now as he would be old enough , thanks again.

Just got back from the vet's and she said they are both girls so it must have been a dominance thing i suppose , they will going in to be spayed in 2 or 3 weeks time as the vet said they can be done at 20 weeks then hopefully there should be no problems and they should live happily together :D

Back