• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help me Re-bonding my bunnies

Hi, Where to start? Right well i have 2 lovely boy bunnies. The first and oldest is floyd, he is a british giant, and is 7 months old. Then there is flo, he is a french lop and is 5 months old. They were put together from the moment we got them, and they loved each other dearly, but then things changed. We moved house and floyd started getting his hormoans, so we had him neuterd. Thats when flo started bite'in floyd. We then got flo neuterd aswell thinking this would help, but it hasnt. It seems to us that floyd just wants to cuddle up to flo, but flo's tail instantly goes up, and he gives off a smell like baked beans. They are both indoor bunnies and both have seperate cages. We have tryed sitting with them in a room, but it always ends up in a fight ((and flo loosing fur!)) I really need some help, i just want them to be able to go in the run together, and not have to lock one away, when the other is out. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Many thanks:cry:

Welcome to RU.

Can I ask some questions about when you try and put your buns together to try and rebond them.

How big is the area that you put them in?
Is the area that you are using one where either of them has been before?

If the answer to the first question is bigger than about 12 square foot (ie 6 x 2 foot) then the area is probably too big.

If the area is one where either has been before then you are not on neutral territory and fighting is almost guaranteed. Totally neutral territory is essential particuarly with same sex rabbits.

My suggestion would be to try and get someone experienced in bonding to bond them for you on totally neutral territory to increase the chance that they will bond. It is not guaranteed but this is your best chance.

hi

Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Yeah, from what you have said the area that they are in is too big, and putting them in neutral terrority makes sense, but they both have been everywhere in the house. I will try anything to get these guys to bond, like i said before floyd really wants to be with flo, and really seems hurt and cant understand why flo's like this to him.
Do you have any suggestions as to where i could get the help from to bond them? Maybe i'm trying this abit too soon, flo was only snipped about a month ago. There cages are quite close so they can see and smell each other, but thats as far as it goes for flo.
Anyways. Thanks again.:)

It is worth enquiring to see if any of the rescues in your area would be able to assist you if you were prepared to offer them a donation.

Can you sort out somewhere indoors where you can clean the floor such as lino or wood so that you can make it neutral. If you wash the floor and skirting with a 50:50 vinegar and water solution this will get rid of the smelll of the buns. If they are on carpets another option is to keep the buns off that area for a while or cover it with thick card for a while.

re-bonding

I have 2 bunnies marley blue otter mini lop & masiey dwarf sooty fauwn both about 5 months old, they are house rabbits & have been together in the same cage since 8 weeks old & very happy, i recently had marley neutered & he had to stay overnight while he was away maisey who was always the quiet one became very cheeky & lively & when marly came back she became territorial & didnt want him in the cage she kept sniffing him & chasing him i was afraid she would hurt him so for 2 nights i let maisy sleep in the carry cage that marley went to the vets in so she could smell him & put marley in the main cage i slowly introduced them to each other during the day 3 days later they are both very happy together again, i did not let them go out in the run untill they had got used to each other again thankfully they are both snuggled up and happy again so id say swap them into each others cage so that they get used to each others smell.. it worked for me good luck:wave:

this is kinda the same of whats happening with my rabbits...
sorry, i cant answer, i havet he smae problem. one of them wants to be rfriends but the other rabbit dosent, he just bites him and starts a fight..we have to separate them :(
they were best friends until we got them neutered , and now they just wont be together.. im slowly re-bonding them, its very hard though :(

We had the same problem - overnight one seemed to change and started attacking the other. I followed all the advice on here and other forums about bonding and it worked, but it does require determination and perseverence.

They have now established who is the dominant one and although they aren't quite snuggling up as much as before, they both seem content.

Back