• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sore hock advise asap

Beebop

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone:wave:

Im just back from a holiday in Spain and noticed fudge was shifting weight away from her hind leg. She has a graze on her leg and i know that it is vital to act before any infection hits the bone. I don't know if its infected but it looks quite nasty. She is eating, pooing and peeing fine despite her discomfort which is a good sign.

Bascially what i need to know is what do I ask for at the vets? I don't want a cream because i know it has some disadvantages such as softening the wound, so is a course of metacam and baytril sufficient?

Thanks in advance for any help!:)

Is the sore area an actual cut and if so how deep ?
If it is more than superficial then Fudge may need it debriding (cleaning) under GA. It will certainly need thorough flushing with something like Hibiscrub.

If it is a typical 'sore hock ' ie a pressure sore your Vet needs to try to establish a cause aswell as treating the sore hock

Your Vet may decide to prescribe systemic antibiotics eg Baytril
Pain relief (Metacam) is essential

Good luck

Back