• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

the fear and dread..is it just me?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i know being a bunny mummy is a hard job....a very hard job..especialy with a bun who is special needs or very low in themsleves.

How do you cope after losing 3 buns in one year..two very close togejter and one of those wasnt to live long but you took him on anway.
now i have also had berties corneal abrasions to deal with and only fairly recently had the all clear..but has had two bouts now of not being well..uner the weatehr and upset tummy....with no obvious causes. then the lump on his chin which i presumed was his abscess come back..and afetr losung capser to his tooth root abscess earlier this year i nealry collapsed.

now berties vet is back off holiday so im going to ring monday to get him in and get bifs and mums bunny myxi boostered.

i love all my buns so very much..buti guess bertie holds a very special place cos he saved bifs life after she lost oscar...and hes always been in the middle when i had four buns together..
hes soft and cuddly and like a labrador but with typical grumpy bun moods.
then theres my little sweetie bif...shes 6 months older than bertie..shes 5. A recued bun who had a very traumatic life..gem here will vouch for her state.
Shes been close to death sooo many times...and come back...even got misdignosed with cancer of the cervix!!
shes a go prob bun as shes also a dental bun..last year in nv spotted by a vet..her lower jaw goes wayyy back too far. hence the spurs despite ehr diet.
shes easily stressed and gets stiky butt, when she is. and then goes into stasis.

we have little merlin upstairs..a funny little guy whos given a breath of fresh air to nikki whos in ehr room most of the time as shes in bed with severe m.e hes her company and her roomate:lol:

i recently had a huge scare with my cat salem too.

omg have i got the wimpiest pets..am i the worst owner.....

then the biggest fear i have now....whos next to die:shock:

its getting me a bit paranoid...and it shouldnt......im the same with me mum....i guess lsoing all my pets so close in the last 6yrs and family and esp my dad 3yrs ago...i am now dreading having closeness as death beats me to it.

am i the only one who worries like this about loved ones and pets...esp pets...esp the buns?

how do you all cope!?

I really worry about my buns passing in the night. They are 5,6 and 7 and I haven't had to deal with a pet passing since my family dog died 7 years ago.

I try not to think about it and none of my buns have ever been ill in all the time I've had them.... but you just can't help but worry.. :?

....and I've probably just jinxed it by writing this!!

I fret too...I lost four buns in just over a year as well as some human friends so now I just always assume that loss is near...there's nothing I can do except live with it really. I can't not have buns, cos then I would have nothing, so I just have to continue keeping them and put up with having my heart broken constantly. :? Bit of a pain but that's life I guess.

matthew and tabitha are only two. but i worry. particularly now i am back at work after the summer holidays and can be out of the house for fourteen hours a day. anything could happen. nothing has changed, they've always been home alone when i'm working, but i do worry.

I now make a habit of saying "Night bunnies" every night and "Bye bunnies" every time I go out. I never know what I'm going to come home to.

I never got to say bye to Pheebs or Bobby, but Minnie & Squishy passed away in my arms

We lost Minnie in october, Bobby in November, Pheebs in January and Squishy in March. Not a day goes by where I don't think about them :cry:

The only way I cope is to focus on the now. Enjoy today, this moment. If I think about being without them, or them being ill (and there is a high probability given the volume of buns and some of their histories) then I would lose precious time I have with them worrying about it, which is counter productive.

So, I just focus on today. That's all I do.

I know how you feel beileve me we lost 3 buns last year 'Keyleigh' in June 2008 followed by 'Betty Boo' in August and then 'Chloe' in September.
This year we lost 'Miss Warburton' (Kayleigh's Sister) in January, 'Danny' (Miss Warburtons Brother) with Cancer in April and 'Toffee' (Miss Warburton's Brother) in July.
We have Poppet who has a lump in her tummy and we don't know if it's an abscess or a tumor, we have Angel who suffers with infections and is blind and has no tear ducts and his eyes constantly weep and yesterday he was at the Vet's as he has some little growth's and he's got 'Papilloma Virus' and we have baby Saint a special needs little bunny who needs to soon be spayed and yet I'm so scared we will lose her under the anaesthetic. The worry is endless so you are not on your own.

Both Tinkerbell and Sooty passed this year, both in the night as well :(

My beautiful Barney cat passed 2 weeks ago and I just can't come to terms with his passing at all :cry:

After what happened with Mable, I'm terrified of Charlie dying. I also know of two rabbits who were suspected to be his relatives (from same shop as I origionally got him, same colour, same breed) who just suddenly died. So I'm always scared

I now make a habit of saying "Night bunnies" every night and "Bye bunnies" every time I go out. I never know what I'm going to come home to.

That is a good point...I make sure to have at least half an hour each day where I just sit with them and focus on them and don't think of anything else, cos if one should pass away suddenly I don't want to think "I could have had a cuddle with her this morning but I was hurrying to work"....I feel I didn't spend as much time as I could have with some of my others in the days preceding their passing and I always regret it.

I have an 11 year old bunny and everyday I dread going into the stable and finding him. I sometimes send my husband in first to check. But this week I have suffered a tremendous, very sudden loss of a young, seemingly healthy bunny which has devastated me because despite getting him to the vet, getting all sorts of medicine and nursing him as much as possible, he passed away in the middle of the night on Friday with his new wife by his side. I had a feeling it was bad so sent hubby in who found him. We have buried him under a big oak tree on our field. It made me realise how vulnerable they are and how, really, no matter how hard you try, if they get ill, it can be a huge struggle to keep them. I loved him very much and am now paranoid about the others. I know I did all I could but having been so fortunate with old bunny never being ill etc, it has come as a huge shock to lose a young one for no obvious reason. (but we all know how dangerous actual diahorrea is in buns.) Anyway, I am so worried now - luckily his wife seems to be coping ok, not pining, but with my other bonded pair a loss of one or t'other would be tragic for the remaining one as they are so closely bonded.... Making me teary writing this, not really dealt with losing Dylan yet properly. :cry:

That is a good point...I make sure to have at least half an hour each day where I just sit with them and focus on them and don't think of anything else, cos if one should pass away suddenly I don't want to think "I could have had a cuddle with her this morning but I was hurrying to work"....I feel I didn't spend as much time as I could have with some of my others in the days preceding their passing and I always regret it.

Exactly what i do:wave:

I constantly worry about my buns but i suppose that is the best way to be:)

I have an 11 year old bunny and everyday I dread going into the stable and finding him. I sometimes send my husband in first to check. But this week I have suffered a tremendous, very sudden loss of a young, seemingly healthy bunny which has devastated me because despite getting him to the vet, getting all sorts of medicine and nursing him as much as possible, he passed away in the middle of the night on Friday with his new wife by his side. I had a feeling it was bad so sent hubby in who found him. We have buried him under a big oak tree on our field. It made me realise how vulnerable they are and how, really, no matter how hard you try, if they get ill, it can be a huge struggle to keep them. I loved him very much and am now paranoid about the others. I know I did all I could but having been so fortunate with old bunny never being ill etc, it has come as a huge shock to lose a young one for no obvious reason. (but we all know how dangerous actual diahorrea is in buns.) Anyway, I am so worried now - luckily his wife seems to be coping ok, not pining, but with my other bonded pair a loss of one or t'other would be tragic for the remaining one as they are so closely bonded.... Making me teary writing this, not really dealt with losing Dylan yet properly. :cry:

I'm so sorry you lost your bunny.

I think all you can do is try to give them the best lives possible, give them what they need to be healthy and what they need when they are ill, and try not to beat yourself up if you make a mistake but to learn from it. Then hopefully when they are gone the memories will be happy ones of the great lives they had with you xx

not lost a bunny yet but... with pearls heart and Alvin's stasis episodes seeming to get worse each time, i have a very cold dread every morning that one of them is gone.

today Pearl seems to be having an off day, shes hardly moved from my bedroom and seems to be breathing too fast again, Ste reakoned she was just sun bathing in the window.. i keep looking for her turning blue but shes still a lovely pink.. im so scared im going to lose her sooner rather than later im just mega para :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I worry constantly about my bunnies. I've had them for 4 months and I love them so much, I'm dreading anything ever happening to them.

I lost my job shortly after I got them, so I've spent most of my time at home with them since. To be honest, I'm dreading going back to work and leaving them for up to 12 hours a day. Even thinking about looking into pet sitting services, if I knew some one was checking on them during the day, I think it might put my mind at rest.

I'm think I'm probably a bit over-paranoid though, even got to the stage where I didn't like going out for long as it reduced the time the buns could free-range in the garden! :oops:

my heart goes out to the those losses that have choked me up in this thread alone xx

with pearl and alvin it is heartbreaking...and you know things will never be the same...but you love them all the while you have them..its what we did when my cat had heart failure and he had to be pts..then my very first house bunny..then losing woozle then bumble then tabby then oscar and the human losses then the shock of losing willow in front of my eyes almsot a year ago..id gone to bed finally at around 7.30am and we told em we loved em said nite nite etc..i was having loads blackouts then had to make loads phone calls and only went downstairs at aorund 2.30pm as my mum was at the door..i told willow off for not moving then i realised something was very wrong..she died before the taxi could get here...:cry:
then being so terrifed for bertie with his eye..we didnt even relaise bandit was ill let alone dying. but he got pts as soon as we could get the taxi to the nearest vet who could put him down.
capser we took to the vet to be pts as he was dying....but we knew his time would be short..still hurt just as much tho.

my cat salem was diangnosed with a heart murmur when he went for his booster etc and he was a year old. hes got one or two stages worse since then but seems to be stable at the mo.

bertie being the biggest i guess i worry will go first....then bif with her tummy probs....then salem with his heart..but zuzu could go first etc. so i spend time as i can with them all...and tell them i love them and rub noses etc.
its not as easy to do with people:(

i think its something we live with after losing our first bun...you then realise what a complex creature they are..and never to worry about thinking your being paranoid seeing the vet for nothing...its usually something quite nasty and they hide it..

i think im edgy cos its nealry a year since we lost willow and how close we came to losing bertie afterwards....

Last edited:
Back