• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advanced dental disease/parathyroid levels

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: I've been having a nose at the FHB book and its comments on dental disease. At one point it says "parathyroid hormone levels are significantly lower in rabbits that live outside than in housed rabbits suffering from advanced dental disease."

Anyone have the faintest idea what she means by this? It's given as a stand-alone bullet point so there isn't any context for the non-veterinarian on what the significance is. (Box 7.2 p 177 if anyone cares to look!) It looks as if it might have something to do with vitamin D and calcium, but that's as far as I've ascertained!

Sorry, The only thing I know about the parathyroid is that is controls calcuim levels, which in turn affect the heart's rhythm. Was it referring to anaesthestics, as possibly this might be relevant then.:?

I expect it is to do with exposure to sunlight and Vit D increasing calcium uptake into bone and tissue, the parathyroid gland and hormones control blood calcium levels. Raised parathyroid hormone increases blood calcium levels (I think it is this way around) and therefore less uptake into bone, teeth etc...increased likelihood of dental disease? .....i'm just guessing! Light exposure and manufacture of Vit D probably has an influence on calcium absorption... outdoor buns more exposure to natural light.
I can't remember enough medicine any more - no idea if this is right! :lol:

Where's Judy!!! ;)

Thanks - that does make sense :)

Although I'm slighly more sceptical about their reasoning behind wild rabbits not getting it...I can't help but think that's largely to do with the fact that most wild rabbits don't live long enough to acquire dental disease and/or when they do, they die, so most live bunnies they examine won't have it!

Thats really interesting and good to to know.:)
I know metabolic bone disease can be a problem in reptiles if given the wrong UV levels and lack of calcium, but it is interesting to know why.

Back