• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bereaved rabbit

carolinej

Young Bun
i am looking for advice on how to help my rabbit Jasper. his partner has recently died and i want to do the best i can to help him cope and adjust to the change. although his partner was about 6 he is only 2 0r 3 (both rescue rabbits so no definite birthday) so should have many years left. i am not in a position to be rehoming another rabbit at the moment but will do everything else i can to help him. does anyone have any advice or ideas? thankyou

i am looking for advice on how to help my rabbit Jasper. his partner has recently died and i want to do the best i can to help him cope and adjust to the change. although his partner was about 6 he is only 2 0r 3 (both rescue rabbits so no definite birthday) so should have many years left. i am not in a position to be rehoming another rabbit at the moment but will do everything else i can to help him. does anyone have any advice or ideas? thankyou

A soft toy rubbed in his scent to keep him company and as much fuss and company from you as possible. When you are in a position to adopt another bun I think this will help him most of all :)

We lost Charlie bun last week, leaving Lavender, his partner of 5 years on her own. We haven't decided yet if we're going to get her another friend - although I suspect we will, I'm just not sure I'm ready for it yet and as long as she's ok then I want to wait a while.

So we're spending as much time as possible with Lavender, we actually managed to have one of us at home every day last week so she had company - this week we both have to work but one of us will be in every evening. We giving her lots of hugs and fuss. She's got her teddy and Charlie's bear too. I've also put vet bed in her cage so she's got something to snuggle into.

I've been told in the past that bach flowers remedy is supposed to be good for bereaved buns, but I'd never tried it myself.

I hope your bun is OK, sending nose rubs from me and Lavender.

I'm sorry to you both, and your bereaved bunnies :(:(
I guess in time they get over their loss in the same way that people do but I do think they recover from their loss more quickly with the right new partner if that is possible.
In the meantime try to be there for your bunny as much as possible xx

How can you tell if they are pining? My bunny lost her husbun very tragically on Sat. I am devastated as they were a difficult bond apparently and had only been together a few months. It was very sudden but she is behaving completely normally. I have another very closely bonded pair and I think they would hardly be able to cope but my single girly seems fine. I am still hoping to get her another husbun as soon as I know she is clear from illness etc but I can't 'tell' if she is sad.
Sorry for your losses. I keep welling up and going over and over things in my head. Poor baby.

sorry to hear you have also had sad news. this happened on saturday too. he just appears very gloomy, is not his usual self and quite jumpy. he is not eating much at all and justs seems really down in the dumps. i feel awful for him as they had been together for 2 years and really loved each other.

Back