• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my bunny a boy or a girl???

oturtle

New Kit
I just adopted my bunny from the humane society and they said she was a girl, but I just want to be 100% sure and ask you guys.

051.jpg

052.jpg

I know she/he is a little bit dirty down there, I am not sure how I should approach cleaning it up.

When I push down it pops out long and looks like a penis, but the genitals are really close together, and I don't see or feel testicals. They also couldnt tell me how old he/she was but my guess is less then 2 years, the dewlap isnt that big. But what do I know. :oops:
I'm a first time rabbit owner so this is very exiting.

It looks like a girl to me, but it's hard to tell from photos.

Your rabbit should clean herself up but getting dirty in the first place is usually a sign of the wrong diet. Feed lots of hay, just a little dry food and introduce any new foods gradually :)

ok thank you. i just watched a video of sexing rabbits on youtube, and from what I seen it looks more like a boy. A sortof long penis looking thinger comes out. The fist picture is what I mean, if you zoom in you can see it better. I feel like a perv now, my poor bunbun . :cry:

Here it is close up and even more personal then before. This why I'm confused this looks like a penis, but in the second picture it looks like the opposite.
bungenit.jpg

bits still pop out with girls - you need to look at the tip and see if they have a slit (girl) or a dot (boy)

(|) or (*) :wave:

Really? wow. ok, it does look more like a (|). but thats so weird... because on some of the male pitcures of sexing rabbits, it looks like a slit, and others it dosnt.

Hello !! :wave:

Welcome to the rabbit world, I wouldn't like to say without seeing first hand.

Just felt I needed to point out (not having a go at you here promise just trying to help) but your bunny is very overweight looking at the pics. This is probably why he has a dirty bum, he possibly is too fat clean himself.

Sorry don't mean to be rude - just trying to help :oops::oops:

What are you feeding him at the moment? Mix or pellets and how much?

Really? wow. ok, it does look more like a (|). but thats so weird... because on some of the male pitcures of sexing rabbits, it looks like a slit, and others it dosnt.

in a girl, the slit will go all the way down... in a boy, if his hole is 'slit-like', it won't go all the way down (unless he has a split penis)

Looks like you could probably brush out some of that poop but if this fails a little bottom bath is in order. If left dirty your bun is in real danger of getting fly strike. Please check the rear end twice a day and clean as necessary until you sort this out. As mentioned a diet change may be in order to achieve the optimum 90% hay 10% veg and an eggcupful of high fibre pellets.

Take a look at the Sexing Buns thread which has pictures to help you.

Well a doe would have nipples,look for them if she/he'll let you,they're not particularly difficult to find :)
Gorgeous bunster btw :wave:

Our neutered male bun had an abcess on his tummy, after it was surgically removed we were having a check up from the vet and I pointed out a baldy patch, she advised me it was a nipple! I don't know how many they have but I guess they have them because they are formed before sex is determined the same as in humans! (Yes boy humans have nipples too - sniggers childishly!)

Remember I just adopted her/him. So I am wrking on getting her down to a healthy weight. I havent looked for nipples yet, and the dirty bits are hard and stuck on pretty good, to much so to brush away. She gets runny cecal poop too so I need to figure out a better diet. Right now she eats:

Timothy Hay, there is always some provided.

Hartz Original Recipe Pet Rabbit Food, is there a certain amount I should feed? Like (example) 1/3 cup a day or something? Right now I just pour some in and don't measure anything.

and fresh veggies and fruit. I read though that too much fruit can give them runny cecals so I limited that more. But as for veg I give it to her in the morning.

One baby carrot chopped up, broccoli, a little bit of spinach, green pepper, dark lettuce greens ( i know iceburg is bad), a slice of baby tomato and sometimes a small bit of apple. In with this I also put in maybe 5 Living World Dougnut Treats.

Remember I just adopted her/him. So I am wrking on getting her down to a healthy weight. I havent looked for nipples yet, and the dirty bits are hard and stuck on pretty good, to much so to brush away. She gets runny cecal poop too so I need to figure out a better diet. Right now she eats:

Timothy Hay, there is always some provided.

Hartz Original Recipe Pet Rabbit Food, is there a certain amount I should feed? Like (example) 1/3 cup a day or something? Right now I just pour some in and don't measure anything.

and fresh veggies and fruit. I read though that too much fruit can give them runny cecals so I limited that more. But as for veg I give it to her in the morning.

One baby carrot chopped up, broccoli, a little bit of spinach, green pepper, dark lettuce greens ( i know iceburg is bad), a slice of baby tomato and sometimes a small bit of apple. In with this I also put in maybe 5 Living World Dougnut Treats.

Ok, well a little bottom bath will be necessary. Dry well after.

Provided your bun has been checked by a vet and given a clean bill of health then I would restrict her diet to hay and fresh water for a few days to get this poop problem in check. I have never fed timothy hay so cannot advice here but wonder if it is a bit "rich" for an adult bun. Ordinary meadow hay will be fine. Once her poops are nice and normal (big, round and golden in colour) and her bottom no longer messy you can reintroduce a little veg. Do one veg at a time leaving a few days before the next one so you can identify any that are upsetting her tum. Sugary treats, carrot, apple and bunny treats from the pet shop are best kept as an occasional treat - once a week perhaps and in very small quantities. Tomatoes could be causing a problem as they are rather acidic. It is best not to feed "museli" type rabbit feeds as these are usually high sugar and too low in fibre, but better to feed a small amount of high fibre pellets - Science Selective for example, an eggcupful a day. Of course all introductions to new foods needs to be done very slowly over a 10 day to 2 week period. Personally, I would keep to hay till bottom is settled, then add a tiny bit of veg and when i was comfortable that her tum was settled with the veg I wanted to feed get some good pellets and introduce 2 or 3 to start with by hand and gradually increase over 2 weeks to an eggcupfull a day assuming there were no adverse reactions.

Thank you for such a detailed answere. I would assume she was vet checked because she came form the humane society.
But I did find that she has a few mats on her tummy around her bottom, I also found a single flea on her back side. I look everyday and havent seen anything else other then flea poop. Her nails where very long but I cut them down without any problems. She really does seem to trust me though, she comes to me and follows me, she even cuddles up and sleeps with me. lol, sometimes she will put her face right in mine, nose to nose. She is a wee bit cage agressive and growls sometimes, or lunges. But I have yet to be bitten.

I will take away veg and pellets and just feed hay for a few days as recommmended. Thank you for your help. I will print out what you said so I can be sure to follow it step by step.

How should I go about a bum bath though? I have a water bottle I could just wet it down with, and baby wipes, I don't want to stress her out too much, I also need to clear up those mats. She also had the starting signs of sore hocks, but her cage is now lines with soft towels as she is litter trained and they seem to be clearing up.

Back