• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter tips

Danielle84

Mama Doe
As it's getting colder now i wondered what the advice is on keeping bunnies warm enough?

I know that there's extra bedding and putting a warm covered water bottle in, but timmy's pen is quite big and wondered if there was anything more we could do when it does start to get cold?

:wave: I do very little to be honest, mine are outside all year so they grow nice thick winter coats to cope with the cold. I just make sure that there is at least one comfortable, snug area that is well protected from draughts, stuffed with cosy dry straw and hay; make sure that it is a different area from where the buns go to the toilet; protect the water bottle from frost and check it regularly; make sure the run is covered so it doesn't get soaked from the rain. You could also line the inside of the main house area with insulated material and cover with plywood if you want to make sure the housing part is kept cosy.

Other than that, they tend to sit outside all weathers anyway :roll: Of course if your bun is poorly then you may need to make more changes, but for an average healthy bun, as long as there is somewhere cosy and draught free where they can snuggle down into well-insulated bedding, they should be fine :)

:wave:Thanks for that :) Timmy is an indoor bun so it's not a major issue, but obviously just incase it's mega freezing!

Back