• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Indoor rabbits and myxo vaccination

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
My bunnies are all indoor bunnies. The only time they go outside is in spring/summer. Would you recommend myxi every 6 months still or would once a year around March be sufficient?

I'd still do it 6 monthly. I bet you've been bitten by gnats and mosquitos inside your house before, they are such teeny creatures they can easily get in all over the place, so your buns are still very much at risk.

We have ours just once a year around march aswell. Our vet first said yearly and hasnt changed her mind yet on that. (I say yet as I know they find out new things and then recommend diff)

The official data sheet (which is the legal document on each drug) says that efficacy has been established as 6 months: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29530.html

This means that if you have the jab in March, your bun will only be protected from March - September. The data sheet suggests vaccinating in May/June if you're only going to do it once a year, but you should be aware that the vaccine is only effective for 6 months in any case so your bun will always be at risk from 6 months after the vaccine is given, whenever that is.

I don't know where you are, but where I am it is still really mild and there are loads of mozzies around. It used to be much more seasonal and cases largely dipped when the frosts killed off all the mozzies, but the frosts aren't necessarily coming until February and biting insects seem to be around all year now, so cases are also being seen all year round. There's no way I'd risk it I'm afraid.

I had some indoor bunnies who couldn't be vaccinated because they weren't fit for it, and I was absolutely paranoid whenever I saw a biting insect inside (and those were just the ones I saw). Plenty do come in, I agree with Santa.

In general I'd say 6 monthly but after discussion with my Vet my indoor Rabbits will now be Myxi vaccinated yearly. This is due to the fact that several of them had a bad reaction to their third 6 monthly vaccination.

The RWA and the vaccine Data Sheet both say 6 monthly vacs

I have indoor buns and I do mine once a year around May. I also make sure that I do everything possible to prevent mosquitos etc eg beaded curtain on the back/conservatory door, fly papers in front of the window between the conservatory and the living room etc.

If I see a mozzy (or any fly for that matter) in the house its days are seriously numbered - I'm after it with a fly swat. If I open a window upstairs I shut the door of that room - for me its about fly strike as much as mxyi but it means I'm happy to vaccinate mine less frequently.

I would still do it every six months as the vets now state. I have a frien who has just had this happen to house bunnies , she had to have them put to sleep , we had always told her to vaccinate so its sad she chose not to!

The official data sheet (which is the legal document on each drug) says that efficacy has been established as 6 months: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Intervet_Schering-Plough/Nobivac_Myxo/-29530.html

This means that if you have the jab in March, your bun will only be protected from March - September. The data sheet suggests vaccinating in May/June if you're only going to do it once a year, but you should be aware that the vaccine is only effective for 6 months in any case so your bun will always be at risk from 6 months after the vaccine is given, whenever that is.

I don't know where you are, but where I am it is still really mild and there are loads of mozzies around. It used to be much more seasonal and cases largely dipped when the frosts killed off all the mozzies, but the frosts aren't necessarily coming until February and biting insects seem to be around all year now, so cases are also being seen all year round. There's no way I'd risk it I'm afraid.

I'm in the South East and it's been quite mild, in fact today it's glorious sunshine. We hardly get any flies around though.

My vet also initially said every year but recently said 6 monthly but when we said they were indoor buns said that a year should be ok.

I shall have a long hard think but I'm swaying to 6 monthly. Eek, money :evil:

Back