• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could it be snuffles?

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi one of my rabbits suddenly went off her food and started acting strange last night. At first i thought she was just having a tantrum because she was put outside for a little while earlier in the day. However i have noticed that she is still not eating this morning. Checked her front teeth and they are fine. I was wondering what are early signs of snuffles? So i can look for that. If we suspect it may be snuffles then off to the vets. Otherwise i have some meds from just a short while ago when one of my other rabbits behaved in a similar way. It is to start the gut going to tempt them to eat. I gave her one of those doses just now. I did it to see if that helps her eat again, if so then no need for vets. I am just worried she may have snuffles and if so can she spread it to other rabbits? (i have not really had to deal with snuffles before)

Please help

This is a very generic symptom and occurs with so many problems, so yes, it could be the start of an upper respiratory infection but equally it could (and more likely may be) something else.

Is she pooing? Weeing? Drinking?

Is she acting differently? When you say 'strange' what is she doing?

The fact she is not eating is a very improtant sign because rabbits can go downhill very quickly. There is ALWAYS a reason for that and whilst we could suggest things, we can't know for sure, so your best bet is to act very quickly and to take her to the vet. I wouldn't suggest giving her something unless the vet has suggested it because, for example, gut motility meds can be detrimental in some cases and shouldn't be used, etc.

I would give your vets a call now, explain the situation, what you have given, and see what they say you should do.

In the meantime (as in until you can take her), bring her inside if you can, provide her with a buffet of foods that she can eat and likes, and also maybe give her a heat source that she can get away from if she wants, because that can also sometimes help.

She is not eating. She keeps laying on her toilet but do not know if she is doing anything. I have not seen her drink but she usually drinks when no one is around so difficult to spot. She is acting different to her normal behaviour, like when i open her bed door she usually comes running in and pushes her head forward to be rubbed but she is just laying down. I felt the other rabbits ears just now and they are warm but hers feel cold. She has a bit of a wet nose as well, does that mean snuffles? It is not like goo, just like water but i am unsure if this could be from her water bottle dripping on her face.

It sounds as though your Rabbit is in GI stasis and is also hypothermic

This is a life threatening condition requiring urgent Veterinary attention. Please contact your Vet without delay

Vet trip went alright. She got an injection for pain as she has a swollen stomach and an injection to get her stomach working so she should eat. However she has eaten only a tiny bit since being home. Will have to try the pineapple juice they said to give if she isn't eating/drinking.

Now am not an expert but rather than syringe feeding her pineapple juice I would give cooled boiled water. Even chamomile or nettle tea cooled they love. Pineapple juice has a lot of natural sugar in it and if bunny is in gut statis then it will be a lot for the stomach to take.

Did the vet check her teeth?

Vet trip went alright. She got an injection for pain as she has a swollen stomach and an injection to get her stomach working so she should eat. However she has eaten only a tiny bit since being home. Will have to try the pineapple juice they said to give if she isn't eating/drinking.

Did the vet feel or Xray for a blockage/obstruction before administering the gut stimulants? If she isn't eating herself then she needs pain relief - hopefully they gave these - fluids (under the skin) - did they give her these? and possibly oral fluids NOT pineapple juice. As suggested above cooled boiled water or herbal tea is better. You will also need to start syringe feeding her once her bloated stomach subsides a little. If her tummy still feels distended and hard or worse - I would stress you need to take her back to an emergency vet tonight - especially if she hasn't had any fluids given under the skin and hasn't eaten or drunk all day. It's been warm today. If no improvement over night then she definitely needs to go back to a vet first thing in the morning for fluids, more pain relief and a proper exam of her tummy.

Hi sorry for late reply. She slowly started eating more and more. The weird thing is she would only eat hay, grass and a tiny bit of carrot and celery to begin with and now is back to eating almost anything again. The vet said to give pineapple juice however she would not have any and even spat out most of the fibreplex. However we did give whatever she felt comfortable eating and she is back to normal as said above. The vet did say something has been going around as she has seen a few recently having the same symptoms. Anyone else in Kent has this with any of thier rabbits?

Back