• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD help

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Cherry Blossom had her VHD last week, and Sophie her Myxi. Sophie seemd fine. But CHerry has a 1 inch crusty lump on her back where the vac went in. I felt it yesterday but it was too dark to look at properly. Today it is about 1 inch by 1 cm between her shoulder blades where the needle went in.

Is this normal? Will the vacc still be effective?

Cherry Blossom had her VHD last week, and Sophie her Myxi. Sophie seemd fine. But CHerry has a 1 inch crusty lump on her back where the vac went in. I felt it yesterday but it was too dark to look at properly. Today it is about 1 inch by 1 cm between her shoulder blades where the needle went in.

Is this normal? Will the vacc still be effective?

The Vaccine will still be effective.
Do keep a close eye on the skin reaction to make sure it does not continue spreading and/or become infected.

I assume it was a CYLAP VHD Vaccine ?

I'd also let the Vet know what has happened so it can be recorded on CBs records.

It can help prevent a local skin reaction if a new needle is used to give the vaccine than the one used to draw it up. Also massaging the site of the vaccination for a few minutes after its administered.
In my experience the LAPINJECT Vaccine is much less likely to cause problems such as local skin reactions, post VHD Vac Limp or general malaise.

I had this with Amber's Baytril jab. She had what looked like a round flat disc on her back when it scabbed. When it came off it took off a clump of hair which grew back white after a while (just like Jane said it would!).

Back