• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice on spay u/d post 8 and couple of questions

crazy daisy

Warren Scout
Hi i have had a look through the posts that i could find regarding spays but i just need some advice and reassurance that im doing everything right! Daisy is booked in on Monday tohave her spay, she is about 3 years old and an outdoor bunny. I do have another bunny who is a male that i think she is bonded with, although they do live in separate hutches. The reason for this is they dont really get on when in the same hutch and because i was getting daisy spayed i wanted to wait until she had recovered before trying to bond them so that they can live together.
My question is.. Even though they dont live together will Daisy be ok indoors while she recovers, my vet thinks so but wanted to make sure. Also is there a chance of fighting after she has recovered due to her smelling different.
Is there anything i need to look out for apart from not eating, pooing etc. Ive got an indoor cage which i was going to put a litter tray in with shredded newspaper and some odor control stuff i got from my petshop, in the rest of thr cage i was going to put towels and newspaper. Does this sound ok? Im really sorry for the long post ive never done this before and i want to make sure i do it right. :)

Last edited:
the only thing i would question is the shedded newspaper when i first got nala i used to cos it was free lol i used to shred all junk mail haha but it does not soak wee up very effectivley and it becomes smelly very quickly. maybe just get a small bag of litter from a store even a stores own brand u can get cheap litter for £2. i personally like the p@h own brand wood pellets they work well for me n nala and shes a house bun who does not smell. :wave:

hope everything goes well with ur buns spay

Hiya sorry dont think i made myself very clear! ( just reread my post!) The odor control stuff i bought is an animal bedding and litter, i was going to put it on top of the newspaper. Do you reckon that will be ok? Cheers for the reply :)

Is it carefresh or megazorb or something similar? Basically you will want to use something that does not stick to her wound and that isn't sharp like hay can be. Often a piece of veterinary bedding and or fleece blankets/old towels works very well and are pretty absorbent. I'm sure a soft paper based litter will be fine as well. Sounds like the indoor set up you have prepared will be just fine :D

I'm a bit confused? If they live in separate hutches then it is likely they are not fully bonded - hence why they fight when one goes in the other's hutch - however, I would not expect any less from an entire doe. Is your male bunny castrated already?:?

If he is then you will need to wait until she is fully recovered from her spay before attempting to bond them anyway...she will need at least several days rest and recoup after the Op and then another couple of weeks atleast to heal up before making any introductions. When you do introduce them...I'm assuming you want them to be sharing a hutch from now on?? then this will need to be done in strictly NEUTRAL territory and they should only spend the night together when they've had a whole day happy in each other's company without any fighting and in neutral territory. He must be castrated ideally as well for this to work. Hopefully they can then share the same hutch (but again you will need to thorougly clean this down before they share it together to effectively neutralise it).

Most important things you have already mentioned - eating and pooing asap post-op and make sure your vet gives her plenty of pain relief and sends you home with some for the next day or two, plus some syringe feed should she need it. Any problems it is best to pop her back to the vet for a check and more medicines if she is not eating/pooing within 12 hours post-op. Buster collars (given to dogs and cats) are not ideal for use in rabbits unless absolutely necessary. Good luck for Monday :wave:

Hi prettylupin, the bedding is made from recycled paper and is soft, im going to use towels aswell. They dont really fight but gizmo (my male) will chase daisy around abit if she does into his hutch as they are both accessable when they are in the garden. Gizmo is castrated and has been for a while. I wasnt sure if they were bonded, as i hadnt done anything but i posted some pictures before and someone ( cant remember who! :oops:) said that they look bonded.

DSC00327.jpg

Im planning on keeping daisy indoors for at least 3 days ( ive got 3 days off work, go back fri off sat and sun) when she goes back outdoors how long will i need to keep them separated for? Sorry for all the questions :roll: :)

Hi prettylupin, the bedding is made from recycled paper and is soft, im going to use towels aswell. They dont really fight but gizmo (my male) will chase daisy around abit if she does into his hutch as they are both accessable when they are in the garden. Gizmo is castrated and has been for a while. I wasnt sure if they were bonded, as i hadnt done anything but i posted some pictures before and someone ( cant remember who! :oops:) said that they look bonded.

DSC00327.jpg

Im planning on keeping daisy indoors for at least 3 days ( ive got 3 days off work, go back fri off sat and sun) when she goes back outdoors how long will i need to keep them separated for? Sorry for all the questions :roll: :)

Until you feel she has recovered enough - healed enough and got over the stress on her immune system of the Op. This is entirely up to you. Just remember that these Op's for girls are a big procedure and then reintroduction - or semi-bonding in your case could also potentially be stressful as well. I would be cautious about too many stresses at once, but this is just how I deal with things. I'd give her atleast a week post-op minimum but probably longer, but again that's just me :)
I would just to be on the safe side - still use a neutral place to reintroduce them and do a proper bond at last....because then they can live and snuggle together all the time :love:

Thanks alot prettylupin your advice has been a great help. I will keep a close eye on her and let you know how its goes if thats ok!! :D

advice on spay U/D all is well so far!

I brought Daisy home today after having her spay. During her pre-op check my vet found a lump under her chin which turned out to be an abcess that has returned. I feel really guilty about this as i never noticed,:oops: she has got a large dewlap and it was right under it but even so i feel bad. My previous vet never told me that they can reoccur :evil:and i didnt think to question them. Does anybody think this is a case a malpractice (not sure if thats the right word) or just being a un rabbit savvy vet???
Saying this she seems happy enough, she was eating straight away and is drinking loads ( is this normal?) and seems quite bright considering whats happene to er today! Shes also got a bandaged ear, which looks very cute!,:love: from the catherter. How long should it be till she poos and wees, as she is eating. He tummy is making gurgling sounds which i presume is good? I brought her home just over an hour ago and she had her op around 3.
Any help or adive wold be brill! Thanks :)
Sorry for the long post! i always seem to get carried away-gona shut up now:roll:

Back