• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

where do you get medicines from?

gill shirlaw

Warren Scout
As title suggests where do you all get spare medicines from i.e baytril, metacam, recovery and anything else that helps with emergency illnessess as i read on hear sometimes that some people if they notice buns a bit off colour give them some baytril or metacam or a little recovery to see how things go and then if not take them to vet. I know you can get probiotic at pets at home if vetted first but not sure about rest as i know these things good to have on hand for first signs of anything that could prove fatal.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks

gill:wave:

I don't think giving something like baytril is advisable unless you are 100% sure that it's the right thing to do.

Stuff like metacam is more of a grey area because although it's a prescription drug, it's the equivalent to us human beings keeping paracetamol or ibuprofen in the cupboard for emergencies.

Recovery food, probiotics, infacol, etc are not prescription meds and can be bought online, from petshops, supermarkets, etc

Some of those are prescription only, so can only be gotten from your vet. My vet is happy for me to keep Metacam, Baytril and Septrin at home in case somebunny needs them (the Metacam especially comes in handy).

Things that can be bought over the counter like pro biotics, Panacur, Recovery food, etc, can be bought at the vets, or also on like at places like http://www.petmeds.co.uk/ or http://www.vetuk.co.uk/

I have heard some rabbit stuff you can get from Manor Pharmacies. They do cat stuff like the flea and wormer treatment from vets and my boyfriends mum said she had seen pancur in there.

thanks guys appreciate advice i of course wouldnt give any of these without knowing what i was doing maybe taking vets advice first if had to phone emergency just wondered as heard few people on here administer some of these things if an emergency or middle of night. Thought most of them would be perscription but thought id ask.

thanks again for replying appreciated.

gill:wave:

Back