• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Probiotics (FAO Liz or Jane or anyone else that can help)

If you're desperate for some - Pets at Home (or other large pet stores) sell Pro-biotics i've used this stuf before and its good.

Otherwise, look online for Avipro, or Bio Lapis - which you should be able to get from your vet but its about £5 for 5 days supply whereas the P@H stuff is £5 for huge tub.

If you're desperate for some - Pets at Home (or other large pet stores) sell Pro-biotics i've used this stuf before and its good.

Otherwise, look online for Avipro, or Bio Lapis - which you should be able to get from your vet but its about £5 for 5 days supply whereas the P@H stuff is £5 for huge tub.

We also use Vetark Pro-C Priobiotic and it is very good.

i use bio-lapis for eric - seems to do the trick (best sprinkled on a tiny bit of damp greens for him as if its in water, he refuses to drink:roll:).

i did ring local stores but no one stocked it so i got it from my vet (i'd had it before). mine cost about £3 for 4 sachets (eric's only small so half sachet per day to get him back on track).

it is available online tho - vetuk i think:)

Thanks everyone thats really helpful. Is it something I give every day in the absence of hay or should I only give it when he has tummy problems?

I think fibreplex would be better in that case as it has fibre as well, then maybe add the biolapis if he does get stomach problems?

Has anyone got any experience of administering fibreplex in an alternative way other than straight into the mouth with the syringe - Alfie hates it and stresses him out? Probably more down to me being nervous about it but I have been giving it to my other two this week because of their tummy problems and they have struggled like hell while I have been trying to get it in their mouths!

Another thumbs up for fibreplex and also Avipro plus. Both very good products.

Would he take it smothered over a little piece of toast, or between two little bits of toast like a sandwich?

Cerys :)

Is there any reason Alfie couldn't have Fibreplex added to his smoothies? I always use the Avipro on all the sick buns esp if they are having antibiotics and/OR have slightly dodgy poos. In sort of response to you other thread about dodgy poos - you should be OK keeping the pellets and grass etc. Just leave out the veg and reintroduce slowly when its cleared. Faunus had this in the past and Sullivan has this at the moment.
I am so glad Alfie is moving in the right direction. I look forward to seeing him again soon.
You know where I am if you need any help :)

Fiberplex is quite a thin paste. I've rolled a bit up in a dandelion leaf and it's gone down ok;) Just a thought and a last resort but when i had to give some Science Recovery, i have dropped a bit on Ambers foot before and she couldn't help but lick it off to keep herself clean. I know it's not very professional but it sort of worked;)

The P@H pro biotic is, i think, a weaker type pro biotic than the others you can get.
Hope little alfie continues to improve.

Is there any reason Alfie couldn't have Fibreplex added to his smoothies? I always use the Avipro on all the sick buns esp if they are having antibiotics and/OR have slightly dodgy poos. In sort of response to you other thread about dodgy poos - you should be OK keeping the pellets and grass etc. Just leave out the veg and reintroduce slowly when its cleared. Faunus had this in the past and Sullivan has this at the moment.
I am so glad Alfie is moving in the right direction. I look forward to seeing him again soon.
You know where I am if you need any help :)

Hi Michelle, Yes I could, was just making sure that was ok to do really. How long should he have it for? I think Pretty Lupin (in my other post) suggested it as a substitute for the lack of hay, so is it something he could have every day?

What I was trying to draw out from other members was those who use a special 'version' of the protexin.... a long term version in a high fibre supplement. My vet has mentioned its existence to me. I know Liz has tried something similar - I was hoping for some other member's experiences with it for buns with severe dental issues and fibre maintenance when they 'can't' eat hay due to these dental issues.
If you look at all the Protexin products for rabbits - I think there is a special 'fibre' long term one different to the usual fibreplex we all use for the 'times' of stress only.

Back