• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Might have EC

diamondgirl

Warren Scout
Took Womble to vets today has his head keeps on going to the right. Have bloods and will know for sure next week he is on panacur.If he has it will have to do other rabbits too.:(:(

What is the worse case what will happen .

Oh dear, poor Womble!:shock::love:

I hope it's not EC - I've read on here that an ear infection can cause some similar symptoms so don't panic yet!

I've not experienced it myself, but I'm sure someone more helpful will be along soon.....

Do a search on Head tilt - I have a temporary bun here with it - there are some good links on that thread:D

Is he on any anti-biotics? Has he had a culture done? Is he on anything like Metacam?

Headtilt can be distressing and tricky to treat, but, according to the guy I know who has extensively dealt with EC and head tilt, EC does not cause head tilt. If EC has reached the systemic infection stage then it can lower the immune system, so making the bun more prone to a variety of infections-of which an ear infection may be one of them. However, rabbits can get ear infections with no relation to EC at all. Also mites can cause similar symptoms. The problems are generally found in the 'down' ear, so whilst checking both is important, that is the ear to check extensively.

There's been a lot of head tilt threads here recently (as you've probably seen), maybe scroll the first few of these pages, but also use the search function to find out more.

sorry to hear this

if you are pancuring Womble I'd do the others at same time
Also follow the advice of completely disinfecting out their area on the 21st and 28th day of course..use a mild bleach solution (10%) then rinse well
this will kill off the spores being shed
If they normally go on a grass area take them off for now and keep it cordoned off so you do not walk on it and no other animals go on it..keep them off it until a week after panacur course

I would treat for EC and not bother with bloods..personal opinion only..bloods have to be taken 3 times to show raise in titres..not nice for bun and expensive for you..by time results are back you will have finished the panacur course anyway.
one blood sample will not prove anything other than he has at some time been exposed to EC, will not show if it is active..so your vet should not have told you/charged you for one blood test:?
If vet thinks just ear infection then treat accordingly

Advice given at RWA conference was to follow the 28 day treat and clean routine for all bunnies whenever a new one is introduced as it is now believed most bunnies carry EC and it can be set off at times of stress or illness

Keep us posted x

hi had the results back Womble has got EC but is getting better, head is going back to normal which good , got to go and get some more paste for the others too.

Back