• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter trays

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Just out of interest I have two questions.

1. How often do you change your bunnies litterbox(es)?

2. And when during the day do you change it/them?

Oh no :oops: We only change ours every other day - is that really bad?

We use carefresh in the tray and it says it lasts 2-3 days longer than other litter?? Please advise if we are doing it wrong...

I too do mine when they need it, which can be every day, or three days, or somewhere in between, but never go longer than that. Most of my buns have 3 litter trays, so it doesn't all go in one.

I normally do it in the mornings, but when the weather is bad (specifically raining/snowing, etc) or when its super hot, I do them as and when I can. I don't work so I have spent a few days spending the whole day dashing in and out avoiding the rain drops, to ensure they all get done.

Oh no We only change ours every other day - is that really bad?

We use carefresh in the tray and it says it lasts 2-3 days longer than other litter?? Please advise if we are doing it wrong...

You aren't in the wrong I'm just a fussy person! :lol:

Plus my lot are particularly houseproud - one of my does will try and empty it herself if I don't do it!

I do mine when they need doing which usually seems to be every other day. But now with Ruby it can be every day if she decides to get messy with the litter tray :shock: She sometimes throws the Carefresh out of the tray...

:wave: I do mine every night when I'm feeding them. I use Carefresh too, with a layer of hay on top.

If the weather is particularly warm, then I switch to cleaning it in the morning, so it's fresher during the day and less likely to attract any flies.

We're planning on building them a shed in the next few weeks, and I'd like to get them a big litter tray that they can both lay in (The one I have is too small for both of them to flop in!) - Anyone know where I can get a really big one, suitable for two dwarf lops to flop in? I have the biggest cat litter tray they do in our local pet shop, so not sure where to get a bigger one from?

We're planning on building them a shed in the next few weeks, and I'd like to get them a big litter tray that they can both lay in (The one I have is too small for both of them to flop in!) - Anyone know where I can get a really big one, suitable for two dwarf lops to flop in? I have the biggest cat litter tray they do in our local pet shop, so not sure where to get a bigger one from?

I use under bed storage boxes for litter trays and they fit in a trio. You can buy them in a variety of shallow sizes for different size buns. I'm in the process of switching most of mine to these because ti means they can't wee ovr the edge or anything and its super easy to change.

I use under bed storage boxes for litter trays and they fit in a trio. You can buy them in a variety of shallow sizes for different size buns. I'm in the process of switching most of mine to these because ti means they can't wee ovr the edge or anything and its super easy to change.

:wave: Ooh, that's a great idea! Thanks, I hadn't thought of that! :D

Depends how often they need doing. Chester gets a bit funny with his, he'll throw some litter out or wee on the floor to tell you he wants it changing :lol:

one of my does will try and empty it herself if I don't do it!

Yes that's why I'm asking. I thought I had cured the 'I'm gonna chuck everything out' but today I noticed Mischa doing it again. He mainly does it at night so I was thinking it might be cos he thinks it's too dirty (not that is it very dirty!). I did do it every other day but I'm thinking of doing it every day now and in the evening so he can have some fresh hay to munch on over night.

Back