• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tearducts narrowing?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I'm just curious...

I've taken my Amber-bunny to the vets recently. All my rabbits were due their myxi booster anyway, so I took Amber and her partner there for their jab on their own so the vet could look at her left eye. It has been watering VERY slightly. Never enough to properly wet the fur, but enough so that you can see perhaps one tear drop has leaked. Some days it doesn't do this, which is why I hesitated at first as it seemed to have stopped. I obviously really wanted to find out what this could be, and was concerned about any tooth roots pressing on the tearduct and stuff.

Anyway, at the vets, the vet took a look at her eye. Said it didn't appear sore or inflamed. She checked her teeth and said that although the bottom ones were a little long and there were little spurs starting to form, she did not need a dental. Then said that as rabbits age their tearducts can narrow. Which might be true... but Amber is just over two years old. And I was a bit miffed that the vet made no mention of tooth roots being a possible cause at all. I dunno... maybe I'm just a worrier. :roll:

I'm going to keep an eye on it though and the minute it shows any sign of getting worse I'm taking her back.

I have very limited tear duct experience. I have one guy who needed a flush as he reached 2 years. His eye had been watering slightly (and bee infected on and off) for a while before we booked the tearduct flush. At that time he also had a dental x-ray, which did show one root was slightly longer than it should be-thus causing his problems.

If you are concerned, then never be afraid to get a second opinion, or go back and ask for/mention something (such as a skull x-ray) if you feel it should have been mentioned but wasn't.

You can either go back now, or you can wait and see how the problem is and if it worsens or doesn't clear, then go back.

Something I found helped was bathing twice a day with cooled boiled water (but cooled to be luke warm). Star quite liked this (which says a lot!) and often his eye was a little less watery after. Maybe that's worth a try?

One of my buns has a slightly damp eye on one side, her tearducts are not blocked or inflammed and there is no sign of infection. Our vet said the slight weeping was not enough to be concerned about but if it should deteriorate then they would begin with just a little catheter and tear duct flush and see if that sorted it. She's fine most days and others she has a very small amount of weeping which drieds up and crusts during the day. It's nothing i'm overly concerned about but it's always good to stay vigilant. If your vet wasn't worried then I'm sure it's ok for now. Just keep an eye on it. It could just be simply that she has a slightly narrowed tear duct that's all. If no other symptoms visible then she's probably ok. Any concern then of course pop her back to the vet. (p.s. Poppy is only just 2 and has always had this since we adopted her at 4-5 months)

well Angel is our tooth/eye problem bun.
When she was rescued she had conjunctivitis in her right eye which was cleared up with antibiotics, then after living with us for months all of a sudden it began to water like yours so we went to vet. after week the drops werent working and it was now white gunge coming out which was breaking her temper must be sore. Anyway months of flushing etc we finally found our now vet (proper bunny vet) and she said it was her teeth her roots were so high into her skull that they were pressing onto her tear ducts she cant remove her teeth as they are so high it would mean going through her skull and she has severe mouth disease which is the main cause but she'd take x-ray and make a drain for the gunge to run out.
After x-raying her eye (previous was her mouth) she saw that her tear duct was actually shutting down and the next flush could cause her tear duct to explode which the pain would kill her!:shock: she was having flushes at first every other day then every couple of weeks just so lucky we found out this as she was conscious now getting her flushes!
So she now just has eye drops in her right eye and dentals every couple of month as her eye runs really really bad when she needs her teeth done. It does now and then still run but we bathe it and now her left eye has began to water but we are leaving it to see what happens and hope it doesnt get as bad as her right can be.
I personally if I was you is leave alone unless bunny seems sad or gets to point where her eye is gunged or closesd as it can become real exspensive and not actually clear it up. Just tears is fine as long as they arent pouring out trust me.

Back