• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sarcoptic Mange

Sarcaotic mange

The foxes in my area all had Sarcotic mange:shock:I had to contact Enviromental health and they came and took samples from the affected foxes:cry:I found two dead in the bottom of my garden (which EH took away) All the dogs in my street caught this horrible condition plus my G.pigs had bald patches which the vet said wasn't mange but i think it was:evil:
The foxes were all culled:cry:It is transmissable to dogs (not sure about other fur bearing animals) in the later stages it effects their internal organs which causes them to fail and therefore they will die:cry:It can be treated:)

Very interesting link, thanks! And the story about the foxes makes me feel less nuts. I am starting Milo on selamectin as he itches his ear enough to make them bleed, but stranger is that he has crusties all along the outsides of his ears. It fits really well with sarcoptic mange, but things I've come across say that it's rare in North America and the UK alike.

We'll see what happens. :?

But no one here has had a rabbit with sarcoptic mange?

Sarcotic mange

It,s awful; seeing the foxes with mange:shock:some have been totally bald:shock:you know that they must be suffering which is why i got EH in to help them only they culled them instead:evil:
Its a parasite infection that burrows under the skin:cry:
My vet said that he had treated loads of dogs with this all had been in contact with foxes:cry:
he also said that rabbits were not affected by it but they are fur bearing so i suppose that they can be:shock:

It,s awful; seeing the foxes with mange:shock:some have been totally bald:shock:you know that they must be suffering which is why i got EH in to help them only they culled them instead:evil:
Its a parasite infection that burrows under the skin:cry:
My vet said that he had treated loads of dogs with this all had been in contact with foxes:cry:
he also said that rabbits were not affected by it but they are fur bearing so i suppose that they can be:shock:

I have heard a lot about foxes with it. I feel so bad for them. :(

I've heard that it's rare in rabbits, but the book When Your Rabbits Needs Special Care does mention it:

Sarcoptes scabiei and Notoedres cati, which cause scabies (mange), may also infect rabbits. Infestations by these mites will often result in a crusty dermatitis.

But that's all it says. :? I tutor a woman with 6 dogs, and spend much of their time on a ranch, running everywhere. They're also not terribly well kept, so I wonder if the dogs got it, and I could have transferred it to Milo. :(

Been looking up this sarcoptic mange in rabbits and they must be able to get it as I found this website about rabbits in Singapore with it.

http://www.asiahomes.com/singaporetpvet/rabbit/0915rabbit_sarcoptic_mites_Singapore.htm

Those poor bunnies. :( Their noses look just like a bun with myxi. (So glad we don't have much myxi in the US yet.)

However, I read on another website that the mites are treatable with selamectin/ivermectin, but this site says two injections from a vet. I wonder what the injection is?

Those poor bunnies. :( Their noses look just like a bun with myxi. (So glad we don't have much myxi in the US yet.)

However, I read on another website that the mites are treatable with selamectin/ivermectin, but this site says two injections from a vet. I wonder what the injection is?

To me those bunnies look like they have myxi.

Found this website as well http://www.provet.co.uk/petfacts/healthtips/sarcoptes.htm

Last edited:
I don't know, I can remember when I use to have a horse years ago and myxi was about and I saw so many rabbits in the fields eaten away with the disease some had gone blind and they became easy pickings for rats and you could hear them now and then screaming as rats got them. I never got over it and still cry about it today. Myxi is awful. :(

I don't know, I can remember when I use to have a horse years ago and myxi was about and I saw so many rabbits in the fields eaten away with the disease some had gone blind and they became easy pickings for rats and you could hear them now and then screaming as rats got them. I never got over it and still cry about it today. Myxi is awful. :(

Oh how awful. :cry: I don't think I would ever be able to get over that either. Those poor rabbits. :cry:

The only help I can give is that sarcoptes scabei is highly contagious as a human disease too - scabies. Itching burrows usually start between the fingers. I'd be surprised if Milo had it & it hadn't spread to Eddison & you.
I really feel you need a vet. Rightly or wrongly I have heard that lop eared buns are more prone to wax, low grade bacterial, & yeast infections of the ear.
I can only wish you all the best & that you have a 1st. class vet.

Back