• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

few bonding issues

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hi everyone :wave:

Feeling a bit happier now I have found a potential new pal for Spudsey since her better half Squirrel died last week:cry:

Though I have a few issues re the bonding of them both....:? I am going to get new bun in just over a week, I'm going to split my current run in two so the rabbits can get used to each other. The following week I am going on holiday so both bunnies are going to their holiday home where I'm going to keep them in separate hutches/runs but next to each other again.

Then when I get home I'm going to borrow another hutch/run from Paula ;) and put the run where the current hutch/run is (will this be ok!?) then once they are bonded :roll: I will move them both back in the original hutch and run Spuds is in unless by some miracle I have a brand new patio and hutch and run etc :lol:

Does this all sound ok or does any of it pose any potential probs?

Feeling a bit happier now I have found a potential new pal for Spudsey since her better half Squirrel died last week

Though I have a few issues re the bonding of them both.... I am going to get new bun in just over a week, I'm going to split my current run in two so the rabbits can get used to each other. The following week I am going on holiday so both bunnies are going to their holiday home where I'm going to keep them in separate hutches/runs but next to each other again.

This bit is fine although I am not an advocate of putting hutches together as this does necessarily help as there can be issues of aggression due to rabbits being territorial. I always bond putting rabbits intogther on neutral territory and just getting on with it.

Then when I get home I'm going to borrow another hutch/run from Paula and put the run where the current hutch/run is (will this be ok!?) then once they are bonded I will move them both back in the original hutch and run Spuds is in unless by some miracle I have a brand new patio and hutch and run etc

If you put the new run you borrow on exactly the same place where the other run is to bond them you are not using neutral territory. I would bond them in a totally neutral area for a minimum of 48 hours, ideally indoors so that they can be closely monitored and then put out into the new hutch only for at least a further 48 hours before allowing them to expand their space.

Please do ensure that everything is thoroughly cleaned and 'desmelled' by spraying with a 50:50 solution of vinegar water before putting rabbits in to them.

Could you get whoever is looking after them over the holiday to bond them for you as they will be on totally neutral territory.

Hi Janice

I might be able to move the hutch/run on to another bit of patio or even the grass (haven't got a huge amount of space) so thats fine. Both areas have not been accessed before by Spudsey.

I would prefer to bond them myself as I really enjoyed :roll: bonding them last time, even though it was extremely scary!

Thanks for the advice :)

Back