• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It should not take 2 people and a towel...29/09 UPDATE

sacol4940

Warren Veteran
...30mins to catch a rabbit to put her to bed.

It's getting silly now, she seems to be getting harder to put back at night, any ideas how i can make this easier???

Last edited:
Train her to come to her name... Rimmi is... I trained him by shking his food tub after I called his name and then giving him one for coming. Now I dont need to shake the tub and he'll come. Its great. Or just feed her when she goes to bed.... she should come running when she hears the nom noms going in her bowl....?

24/7 free range? Definately not. Lol. Tonight, she's chewed pretty much all the way the phone wire (the wire was behind a exercise pen we use to block all the wires off and she poked her nose through the bars and pulled it through), shes also chewed a chunk out of the remote and has chewed a plug (the plastic outside casing)

We're constantly having to keep an eye on her cos she's always up to something

You need to get a routine, one that does not involve 30 minutes playing chase before bedtime.

I'd recommend food bribery. Make dinner time directly after bedtime. Mine all go bad to bed at the first hint I'm about to provide dinner.

I suggest you withhold anything yummy for a few hour (hay always available of course but not freshly added). Then place dinner etc. in the hutch/cage/shed/pen.. whereever your trying to get her into. Sit next to it and ignore her, when she goes in close the door. You might be sitting awhile at first but probably less than the 30 minutes of chasing.

Definately not. Tonight, she's chewed pretty much all the way the phone wire (the wire was behind a exercise pen we use to block all the wires off and she poked her nose through the bars and pulled it through), shes also chewed a chunk out of the remote and has chewed a plug (the plastic outside casing)

We're constantly having to keep an eye on her cos she's always up to something

Oh bless,little monkey.....in that case training her to go in for food time is probably a good idea.:wave:

Maybe give her limited access for a while and in that time change her feeding to the evening, so that she knows food is coming, and so goes to her hutch/cage (either in anticipation, or to the russle of the food bad, etc) that way. Then get into a routine with that so she knows when food is, and where it is, and when she comes easily, then gradually increase her space more.

I think breaking the routine is probably a good way forward, not necessarily with my way, but with another way if someone suggests something that works better for you.

ETA- we all posted at the same time.:lol:

Have you tried using some sort of tunnel? When Fliss escaped into the garden we thought we'd never get her, but she ran into one of the tunnels and we trapped her there, so when our 2 foster buns escaped(my carelessness!!..never repeated, I assure you!) I put out the tunnel and they ran straight for it thinking it was a secure hiding place, and we got them that way.

She lives in the box room (her own room) and we tried leaving the living room door open and closing all the other doors upstairs so she could run up and down the stairs and in and out of her room at her own accord, but she usually just sat in her room and and didnt venture out of it very often, when she did she kept chewing on the living room door (we have solid wood doors) and now the bottom of the door is wrecked where she's munched on it

She always has her greens when i put her home at night. I put her back, clean her litter tray out and then give her her greens

She's not really a foodie, i try shaking her pellets every morning before i give them her to let her know that they're coming, and she's never interested! lol

My buns are loose during the day in a big compound and it was a nightmare putting them away at night. It was worse if we were on holiday and friends had to do it.

I always give them their veg in the evening before I put them to bed. During the summer, I started putting the veg into a green tupperware bowl. The buns noticed the bowl and learned that it meant food. Now I do the same thing every night. I have the green bowl, call them and they basically dive in their hutch. The whole process takes about a minute.

Your bun will learn, but you need to bribe her and give her something visual that she associates with getting fed.

She always has her greens when i put her home at night. I put her back, clean her litter tray out and then give her her greens

She's not really a foodie, i try shaking her pellets every morning before i give them her to let her know that they're coming, and she's never interested! lol

Don't give her anything when you come home, but keep her greens for bedtime then she will be hungry and more compliant.

My buns are loose during the day in a big compound and it was a nightmare putting them away at night. It was worse if we were on holiday and friends had to do it.

I always give them their veg in the evening before I put them to bed. During the summer, I started putting the veg into a green tupperware bowl. The buns noticed the bowl and learned that it meant food. Now I do the same thing every night. I have the green bowl, call them and they basically dive in their hutch. The whole process takes about a minute.

Your bun will learn, but you need to bribe her and give her something visual that she associates with getting fed.

I'll have to give something like that a go cos i cant keep doing this every night, its exhausting me and Jose.

I'll have a proper think about what im going to do and how im going to do it tomorrow when my heads a bit clearer

I had this problem with Oggs and delly, untill I cut back on their food.
They literally have 6 sprinkles of pellets in the morning with plenty of hay.
I let them out in the evening and when I want them to come back, I sprinkle the food and they hop right back in.
They know the sounds of the food dropping into the cage now, which brings them running :lol:

Don't give her anything when you come home, but keep her greens for bedtime then she will be hungry and more compliant.

She doesnt have anything when i get home from work, she just gets let out and then she has her greens when shes gets put back before i go to bed

She doesnt have anything when i get home from work, she just gets let out and then she has her greens when shes gets put back before i go to bed

After I posted, I realised you meant her home, not you getting home. :oops: Sorry speed reading is a bad habit. :lol:

Back