• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

heart problems developing... update; good news!!

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
Hi all

I've just had my little man to the vets to check his heart murmur and get more meds... murmur has not progressed but he has an arrythmia :(

Been giving two options; keep going with meds (which will protect heart and kidneys); until he stops being happy and healthy (which will happen with the arrythmia- just don't know when.)

Option 2; do an ECG and try and find out what its all about... they *may* be able to prescribe drugs when they know more. If its something that would require surgery I am flat out not doing it, and I've made that clear. If they do the ECG, apparantly it could be done with him concious if he behaves as he normally does. Again- flat out no to anaesthetic. There is also a cardiologist that is apparantly fab that they'd get involved if we went down this route.

I think that I'm going to say lets give the ECG a go; if we can give him a chance, great. But if he gets too stressed I will make it clear to stop. That way I give him a chance without putting him thru unnecessary discomfort or stress.

I'm trying really hard to work out whether I'm doing this for him or me. I *think* its both. He's so happy, and other than his heart and early cataracts, is amazingly healthy. I just want to do the right thing for him.

And I love him so so much.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing?? (Jane I wonder if you might with all your rexes??!)

Last edited:
I have no experience with heart problems at all, but it sounds like you are absolutely doing what you think is best for him, which is all anyone can do. I had to make the decision last year not to do anything invasive when my old man started to show some specific problems, and it was hard, but I knew it was best for him and also went down the no GA route. We made his time so, so happy those last weeks and it was amazing for us and him and I have no regrett at all. Same with my Summer and her cancer and allowing her what was best for her, giving her a marvellous time, and then letting her go when it was right.

That's all very morbid, so follow your gut instinct as to what is best for him at any one time (which is all you are doing) and if it turns out there is nothing they can do, or nothing you feel is appropriate for him, then give him the best send off ever.

I am sorry you're going through this, but know your guy is so so lucky to be loved so much, and to be put first. He's so, so lucky.

i am just at the start of heart issues with pearl... selfish or not i am of the opinion that i will not do any further diagnostics with her unless the vet insists.. she is a terrible stress bunny so as little time at the vets is what i am aiming for.. i was very relieved yesterday when she said 3 months between check ups, i think Pearl would live quite happily with that :D

good luck with your decision and im sure what ever you decide to do is the right thing for you and your little man :D

If the Vet thinks an ECG will provide more detailed info and thus potentially offer more effective medication options then I'd probably go ahead aslong as the specific Bun was not very stressy and the proceedure could definately be done without sedation.

There is absolutely no way I'd agree to anything surgical, I dont even know of a Vet that has under-taken heart surgery on a Bun :?

For me I try to make decisions on treatment options based on what my Vet (whom I trust) suggests and what I feel the individual Bun can cope with. Even for the same condition I dont think there is ever a 'one size fits all' when it comes to deciding what, if any, diagnostics to go for.

For me sometimes the hardest thing to do is 'do nothing'. But in some cases I personally believe that allowing the Bun to enjoy his/her remaining time without the stress of endles Vet trips and tests is the right thing to do.

Good luck with what-ever you decide for your Bun :)

Thanks guys thats helpful... I think each day at a time... and as unintrusive (is that even a word?!) as possible. But I also want to give him the best chance possible.

I wish I could ask him what he would like and have me actually tell me.

He doesn't normally get too stressed and in fact when I put him back in his carrier today at the vets he got out again!! I'm so lucky with my vets though, they are fab and so sensitive and gentle (with the buns and me!)

Donna I've just read your thread about Pearl... so sorry its her heart, I was thinking (I guess like you) that it was something else after the x rays.

I think you and Pearl are on a different drug to Fluffs and I; but I put it on some porridge and he gobbles it up (I'm on liquid form too, just have to make sure porridge isn't runny before it goes on!) Mr Fluff has been on it about 5 months now and its really helped with the murmur. Which was diagnosed back in December, so Pearl could still have lots of time!

Jane you're right; if it can be the gateway to effective treatment, thats great. And if it can't then I know that doing nothing is the thing to do. Will def stipulate no sedation. If he won't to do it; it stops.

The vet was 100% with me on the no ops front. I think the fact that he is so old and so happy give weight to the argument for doing both nothing and something :?. Why interfere if he's happy and well, why not try to keep things going if he's happy and well?!! And that went for both of us!

Going to give the ECG a go... they can do it with me there, which is great, so that I can minimse stress and hopefully keep him calm!

Going to give the ECG a go... they can do it with me there, which is great, so that I can minimse stress and hopefully keep him calm!

Thats good :)
Do let us know how he gets on.
Bless him I hope they dont need him to do an exercise tolerance ECG where-by he'd have to hop along on a treadmill !!

[/B]

Thats good :)
Do let us know how he gets on.
Bless him I hope they dont need him to do an exercise tolerance ECG where-by he'd have to hop along on a treadmill !!

:shock: That would probably be met with a flat refusal, or an attempt to hop off!!

will definitely let you know how we get on, have to ring to make the appointment tomorrow!

Just to say I support you in your decision, & have everything crossed that the arrythmia will prove to be correctable.

It's always difficult making decisions like this but I think you've done the right thing:D I hope you are able to manage his condition on meds and that it gives you a lot more precious time with him x

Well we went for our ECG today... he was very well behaved and it seemed to make it easier with my being there. I just rested on the table and leaned over him and he snuggled in. He wasn't terribly impressed but not too stressed either.

The vet said that the ECG looked pretty good, but my chance the cardiologist was in, so we got a free consult!! :shock: Was a bit worried because it involved me leaving him there which I had said that I wouldn't, but left them with strict 'do not stress him' instructions.

His ECG trace was normal, and by the time they had listened to his heart a few times and he had settled down, the murmur pretty much disappeared as well. This is quite probably because the meds have been working, so at the moment I have no plans to stop them, but will be chatting with the vet tomorrow.

He was very pleased to see Dave when he picked him up though :love:

I'm so relieved I can't even describe it... celebrating with bunny biscuits and wine!!

Well we went for our ECG today... he was very well behaved and it seemed to make it easier with my being there. I just rested on the table and leaned over him and he snuggled in. He wasn't terribly impressed but not too stressed either.

The vet said that the ECG looked pretty good, but my chance the cardiologist was in, so we got a free consult!! :shock: Was a bit worried because it involved me leaving him there which I had said that I wouldn't, but left them with strict 'do not stress him' instructions.

His ECG trace was normal, and by the time they had listened to his heart a few times and he had settled down, the murmur pretty much disappeared as well. This is quite probably because the meds have been working, so at the moment I have no plans to stop them, but will be chatting with the vet tomorrow.

He was very pleased to see Dave when he picked him up though :love:

I'm so relieved I can't even describe it... celebrating with bunny biscuits and wine!!

Thats great news :D

That is such good news. I'm really delighted for you all, And hope with all my heart that his condition remains stable for many years yet. :wave:

Back