• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chilly bunny?

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Am a little concerned about Beau, he's not overly keen on his dinner, but had a nibble, had some dry herbs, and when I offered him some fenugreek crunchies he wolfed them down :roll: his ears and his body seem a little cold. I know it's turning cooler but he's an indoor bun. He's got two cushions and two towels to snuggle into, but I don't have a snugglesafe, anything else I could be doing to warm my little fella up?

You could try a rice sock. Put uncooked rice in a sock and then heat in the microwave (there are variations of this if you don't have a microwave). Then, if its too warm, wrap it in a towel first, if not, you can just give it as it is.

I would, however, be concerned as to why your bun is chilly and off some of his food. That is probably the main issue.

I know, but he gets really stressed going to the vets, so I don't want to make him worse unless its absolutely necessary. And he is eating. We are keeping an eye on him. That sock thing is a great idea, gonna give it a try!

We all have to make our judgement calls based on our animals and their needs and personalities :)

If it helps, if that were one of mine I would be doing exactly what yo are doing, plus providing a buffet of the things I knew he would eat. If it was one of my dental buns I would also probably do something else too because I would have a fair idea of what was causing the problems. That would be to provide pain relief. That's not a recommendation, just what I personally would do.

It's super important though to ensure your guy is hydrated.

We all have to make our judgement calls based on our animals and their needs and personalities :)

If it helps, if that were one of mine I would be doing exactly what yo are doing, plus providing a buffet of the things I knew he would eat. If it was one of my dental buns I would also probably do something else too because I would have a fair idea of what was causing the problems. That would be to provide pain relief. That's not a recommendation, just what I personally would do.

It's super important though to ensure your guy is hydrated.

If he hasn't eaten more by the time I go to bed I'll give him some recovery. He's flopped, not hunched, which I think suggests he isn't in pain - would you agree? Would it be okay to give metacam anyway to be on the safe side?

He is definitely eating, he's had a fat slice of carrot, some kale, a bit of clover leaf cookie and a couple of fenugreek crunchies. hmmmm, why are rabbits such a worry?!

May sound obvious but how about firm strokes along his back - i'm sure this helps warm Amber up:)

Not at all! Nothing seems obvious with buns :roll: OH has been stroking his ears and back (he prefers OH to me :cry: ), will suggest he does it a bit more firmly :D

Back