• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats the recomended way of getting a new bun?

Sami M

Mama Doe
Hi everyone i have three buns, two of them are bounded and blossom is by herself, i have now managed to convince the OH that blossom needs a mate but what is the best way of going about it? I would love to get a bun from a rescue but do i need one roughly blossoms age? How would i know if they are going to bond? Can someone just run me through the stages of getting a new bun please? Im very excited

Hi everyone i have three buns, two of them are bounded and blossom is by herself, i have now managed to convince the OH that blossom needs a mate but what is the best way of going about it? I would love to get a bun from a rescue but do i need one roughly blossoms age? How would i know if they are going to bond? Can someone just run me through the stages of getting a new bun please? Im very excited

You do not need one the same age but looking for one with the same temprement is helpful. I would contact a rescue centre (Kirkby have lots of lovely buns ;)) and go look for a bunny you like. Once you find one depending on the rescue you might have to have a homecheck. Some rescues will bond for you.

Is Blossom female? If so I would get a neutered male as male/female bonds are usually easiest.

It depends where you go.

For the RSPCA I volunteer with you come and reserve the rabbit and get to know them a bit and have a long chat with staff.

Then you bring your bunny down for a bunny date to see the potential (and you can bring them down more times if you want).

Then you get put in for the home visit to assess whether or not your set up is ok (this can be done before the bunny date).

Then you take the bunny home (if you've passed) and you bond them yourself, with support from me if needed. However some rescues (normally the rabbit specific ones) are able/willing/prefer to bond for you, which means you don't have that stress.

About your bun, she will need to be spayed (if not already) and fully vaccinated too. You don't need to know her exact age but sometimes a rough age can help, although 'adult' can be fine-there are plenty of rabbits with an unknown age.

Thanks guys thats really helpful blossom is about eight months old so she needs to be neutered which i am going to get done anyway, she is a very timid girl with not much confidence so do u think a more confident boisterious bunny would be good for her or would just scare her?

I think maybe a confident bun might help bring her out, but not a hypermanic maniac bun, just a bunny who is people friendly and feels safe and secure around people. Having said that, Summer and Tilly are both hypermanic manic buns (or rather, Summer was), and Roger is the ultimate timid bun and they worked wonders on him.

It might be a case of letting her choose the bun, so maybe have a few in mind, or maybe not set your heart on a particular bun until she has decided yes.

Thats perfect it dosent bothered me breeding, colour as long as blossom is happy thanks so much for your advice x

Good luck getting Blossom a friend :wave:

Ages and personalities don't have to match, they just have to gel ;) Sora is 3 but Smudgie is only 1 and they were the very opposites of each other when they weer bonded (smudge laidback and soft, sora highly-strung and grumpy) but they seem to have melted into each other and met in the middle :lol:

Back