• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poll- do I take Strawberry?

Do I take Strawberry with Snowdrop?

• Yes take him with her

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • No leave him at home

Votes: 17 58.6%

• Total voters

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry to double post but am trying to create a poll!

I have got an appointment for Snowdrop with FHB in York on Tues 29th.

My decision is.... do I take Strawberry with her?

Its about a 2 hour journey and Strawberry HATES the car. He gets really stressed whereas Snowdrop doesnt really mind. He is so lively I am worried if she needs a GA they will have to separate them anyways as Strawberry will be too boistrous. They also dont have an exceptionally close bond and more just put up with sharing their houses with each other than live like bonded bunnies.

I will more than likely have to leave her there untill the weekend as cant have another day off to collect her so its a long time for Strawberry to be in a small cage for no reason. Having said that I dont want her to be on her own.

Personally, I'd leave him at home. It's horrid to think of her at the vets on her own but if they have her in a quiet area (ask if they separate rabbits from other animals) and you take some familliar stuff with her (food, hay, toys), she'll probably be OK.

The onyl reason I would take him is if you worry that she will be housed near other pets or that you worry that she won't eat while there if she is alone.

I think it is important not to separate bonded buns unless you have to - so I voted yes :D
I have on occasion that mine have been in an 'emergency' and needed rushing to the vet - left their bonded partner behind - but mine cope fine with being separated for an hour or two and vet smells etc. However, were one to be admitted then I would always take the other bun along (no matter how awkward this was). I always take both for routine appointments and some emergency appointments. They 'prop' each other up in the car - give each other comfort and generally cope better with it all. I find 'swerving' roads makes Nino a bit car sick - so see if you can stick to the main roads as much as possible. Have you tried Bach rescue remedy (1 drop) before travelling? I also take some freshly washed herbs in a little bag in my handbag for the journey :D
Good luck with whatever you decide - this is just my opinion. Do what you feel most comfortable with. :)

When we go to my vets I take them both. Yesterday at the vets in the waiting room Strawberry was terrified and wouldnt touch a fenugreek crunchie (his favourite) but Snowdrop was fine and gobbled hers up. As soon as he was back home again he was fine.

I'm really not sure, but I voted to leave him at home. I don't think a few hours will break a bunny bond, and the stress for Strawberry may be unnecessary.

But I've heard it's good to rub a towel with Strawberry's scent, and then rub Snowdrop with that towel before putting them back together again. That way, there's no weird "vet office" smell on Snowdrop.

But I'm really no bonding expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :oops:

I'm really not sure, but I voted to leave him at home. I don't think a few hours will break a bunny bond, and the stress for Strawberry may be unnecessary.

But I've heard it's good to rub a towel with Strawberry's scent, and then rub Snowdrop with that towel before putting them back together again. That way, there's no weird "vet office" smell on Snowdrop.

But I'm really no bonding expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :oops:

If I knew she were coming home the same day I would definately leave him. But she is almost definately going to have to stay in to have some xrays done and if she does I wont be able to collect her untill the saturday so it will be 4 days apart.

Oh I agree with this :) It's just I thought Snowberry mentioned the possibility of admission over night - in which case you would want both to be there together. Mine cope fine with hours apart - but I have heard of some bonds being broken with overnight stays so this was why I said take him.

I really don't know :?
I haven't voted because I think your reasons for leaving him at home sound strong, but I would be worried about upsetting their bond if it was me.

Good luck with your decision! Sorry, no help :oops:

If I knew she were coming home the same day I would definately leave him. But she is almost definately going to have to stay in to have some xrays done and if she does I wont be able to collect her untill the saturday so it will be 4 days apart.

This happened to a friend of mine. They had to rebond after several days with one admitted - they'd gone in as an emergency and like you bunny no.2 didn't cope well with cars/vets so they didn't take him in - but rebonding didn't take long they just used neutral territory and all is now fine, so whatever you do, don't lose heart. I'm sure it'll be ok. :)

Oh I agree with this :) It's just I thought Snowberry mentioned the possibility of admission over night - in which case you would want both to be there together. Mine cope fine with hours apart - but I have heard of some bonds being broken with overnight stays so this was why I said take him.

I seem to have missed that part! :oops: :lol:

In that case, I agree with prettylupin. Keeping the bond is important, and I know you've worked really hard at getting a stronger bond with these two. A long car ride and some time together in a strange place might bond them so hard you'll think you have a two headed, eight legged rabbit! :lol:

Hmm. Tough one. Really, really tough one. If my buns wee going for that, all my pairs or trios would go together except for one. Roger and Tilly are my special pair. If Tilly needed to go, she would go without Roger (but with stuff of her own) because Roger just can not tolerate any of that. If Roger were going Tilly would go too with some very careful instructions (she has a residual head tilt and needs to be handled in a specific way).

I think you know your buns. So I would say go with whatever your gut instinct says.

If you separate them, could you maybe give them a cuddly toy now so that it can get their scent on it and then take it with you?

I'm with FHB as live 2 mins away and they wouldn't take both my buns in when one was in for a full day for an op. So it might not be an option to take both...

I always take mine together to the vet, but when Floss was poorly, it was an emergency and I just didn't have the time to round them all up so she went alone and was kept there for 2 days. I was really worried about the bond breaking , so when I went to pick her up I took Bournville with me and he travelled back with her in the carrier and thee was no problem.

I have had both Poppy and Gus in the vets overnight alone and there has been no problems afterwards. I wouldn't separate a newly bonded pair though

i voted leave at home.. my pair get separated for vets visits quite regulary now.. alvins stasis (admitted for a whole days at a time) and Pearl for her check ups.. never caused any issues between them :D

I will give them a ring and see what they say. She is likely to need xrays/ultrasounds but she wont be having an operation as I made the decision with my vet that I would not consent to her being opened up.

Hello, just wanted to say that when Holly had to go to FHB for an operation for her abcess she ended up havign to stay in for almost a week and Hermes stayed with her. They were perfectly happy for him to stay with her. Not sure that helps you decision though, sorry! :wave:

Back