• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Herbie not eating earlier, but should be ok now!

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Well last night Herbie ate his dinner, then i gave him and Inca some basil & parsley and he ate it.......then later on at night i was giving them a bit of broccoli and he turned his nose up at it, thought it was strange, so tried him with carrot....nope.
So im massaging his tummy and starting to get worried. After about an hour he does a poo, but with hair in it. Then he ate a bit of hay, so i was thinking, he should be ok.

Then this morning i put the pellets down and he isnt intrested, phone the vets at 5.30am and they tell me to mush up pellets and try to feed him them and bring him up at 8.30am. He kinda ate some of the mushed pellets, but nothing else. I go and get ready for work, then come in the room and tried him again with spring greens.....and he wolved them down.....then he ate basil and parsley, but still wouldnt eat his pellets.

He then sat on the litter tray and done loads of poo and started scoffing hay!

I phoned the vets and he said i should keep an eye on him, but bring him up if i have any worries.

Do you think its been a bit of hair cos he is moulting alot?

I gave him what he was eating previously on saturday and sunday (mix of muesli & excel) and he just picked the excel out and left everything else.
So i just gave him excel after that. He was eating it fine until last night, i only tried him with a couple of pellets last night, i have been giving them their pellets in the morning.

I would just keep an eye on him. He might be just getting used to the change. By the way I was so pleased you took him and his lovely girlie on. I saw them at Kay's and I know they have gone to a wonderful mum and a wonderful home :love: hopefully someone else will have wise advice for you.

I always think "dental" when they stop eating pellets and treat biscuits ie harder food, it was always the first clue for me with Bungee who suffered molar spurs. When I got Rudy (he was at rescue for 6 weeks with no bother) then had been with me for six weeks when he stopped pellets (which he usually Hoovered up). The vets could see nothing until they knocked him out and he had quite a sore cheek from the spur :(. Bungee's spurs were always visible from a conscious examination.

I'm guessing Herbie has had dental problems in the past but I don't know if his current situation could lead to spurs of if they could have been illiminated (I've got it in my head that he's had his incisors removed but *think* the rest of his teeth are there and good?)

If any of the above could be the case I'd go for the "keep an eye on him for a couple fo days", or see if the vet can see anything.

Yeah, his front teeth are out, although i did notice a wee tooth coming through this morning when i was trying to feed him.

Ive got them both at the vets tomorrow at 9am as Inca is having her myxi and i just wanted them to check them over so they know whats going on with the two of them. Ill get them to check his teeth and see what they think. Then book him in for a dental examination if they think its necessary.

My gran was just up at mine there checking on them as im at work, she said that Herbie and Inca ran up to her when she went in and then he scoffed some basil & parsley, so looking promising that he is feeling a bit better.

Hopefully the wee blighter will just make me look daft when i get home and scoff all his dinner as soon as i give him it!

mum2buns - i did hear that you seen my babies when you were visiting kays, they really have been wee angels, apart from this worry this morning!!

Back